CO2 ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That system is basically a prebuilt DIY system.

I have a 29 gallon with only 2wpg, only moderately planted, and very little surface agitation - so it should not need too much CO2. Using a single 2 Liter bottle only gave me about 8ppm.

Those systems are smaller than a 2 Liter, so I am guessing they give off less CO2. This means it would be very inadequate for a 33gal. But this is only guesswork on my part.

I would suggest simply building your own DIY. Or buying this system but being prepared to buy an additional one (or two) if needed.

I would have to agree with hashbaz I would make it yourself. Would be as efficient and cost you a lot less money.

the most important piece of that entire kit is the diffuser, which you can buy for $8 by itself from Drsfostersmith.com

Bit its alot of hard work and i dont understand the diagrams etc ...

Then study more, because the diagrams aren't that complex.

let this page load fully, then read it, three times if necessary
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#3

the hagen kit is barely adequate for a 20gallon, practically needing replacing every week to get proper CO2 levels. YOu'd need to buy at least two kits...and even then, you'll be better suited to using larger vessels, like 2-4 liter juice bottles, than the 10oz. canister the Hagen kit comes with.

Its expensive enough to maintain a good planted tank...why drop extra cash on stuff that's barely going to be adequate, when you can do all of it for less than 4 pound? All you need is a 3-4liter jug, a bag of sugar, water, a pinch of yeast, and a few feet of airline. you can use any HOB filter that doesn't have a bio-wheel for a CO2 diffuser on a tank your size.

I had the kit from Dennerle before (similar, just different diffuser - had a ladder with a little box on top, so the bubbles wouldn't just rise to the top after passing the ladder). It lasted for a month, was a lot easier than DIY and my plants in my medium light tank were thriving, plus I had no algae (except fora liiiitle green spot).

Most times they include a stabilizer (baking soda?) that makes the reaction run smoothly for longer time. The main thing is you might need to get a better diffusor, to get more of the CO2 mixed into the water. Regular DIY was too nerve wrecking for me, or I was just to stupid and then too lazy to try and figure it out. After a few trials I got a pressurised system (for my 70gal).

I have an idea. I understand the whole bottle bit but I do not understand how to attach the airline (from the bottle) into the tank. Could I just attach the airline to a sponge filter ?

You take a gravel vaccum tube/intake (that thing made of harder plastic), you connect it to a powerhead, drill a hole in the top of the vacuum tube, put the airline through, connect the airline to an airstone.

That way the water will get forced to the CO2 (good diffusion) and the CO2 will produce smaller bubbles by coming through the air stone.

So I couldnt just link the airline to this sponge filter :(.

No, doesn't look very efficient. I thought more something like this:

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html
(look under "DIY Powered CO2 Forced Reactor")

That way no CO2 bubbles can just escape and get to the surface where it is useless. I would imagine connecting the airline to a sponge filter will make many little maybe bigger bubbles, which just raise to the surface and don't get diffused into the water. You got to try to keep the bubbles in the water as long as possible and even better force the water through the reactor.

Read the page in the link above and many things should become clear :wink: .

Back
Top Bottom