CO2 and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
well, my dad seems to think that we can't get plants growing well unless we have a CO2 system in our tank. i kind of disagree, because we had plants growing GREAT in our 55 gallon without special lights or a Co2 setup (not to mention we had an undergravel filter as well)

our plants aren't growing as quickly as before, but they definetely aren't dying off. we got some soil-like clay that we mixed in with our gravel and i think they're doing pretty alright (just not growing fast)

we got this special light fixture (god it was expensive) and now the plants seem like they're doing super. NOW my dad wants to add a CO2, but i think this might be going overboard (even though i know the benefits for plants with a CO2 system are very high)

what's your opinion on that?

CO2 can greatly add to the growth of plants and also reduce the chance of getting some algae

What is your Watts Per Gallon with the light fixture.

You should see the photos of my tank before and after i added CO2 (selling my system now so that i can pay for an addiction to a marine tank i want)

i think it's 2 watts per gallon...lol i'm just trying to slow my dad down on the money spending

i would however if possible like to see the your pictures of the differences

2wpg is in the "gray" area. CO2 is not mandatory, but might be very helpful in the never ending fight against the fiendish foe called algae.

If someone else is buying, why complain?

Obviously your dad is interested, why no let him get the CO2? it cant really hurt just make sure you read up on it first. I would love to get CO2 and new lights. With them you have a much wider variety of aquatic plants. I think its well worth the investment.

Japola44 said:
Obviously your dad is interested, why no let him get the CO2? it cant really hurt just make sure you read up on it first. I would love to get CO2 and new lights. With them you have a much wider variety of aquatic plants. I think its well worth the investment.

yes i suppose you're right. i just figured since we just got this 92 gallon in january, we've invested like $2000 into everything so far...i just think we need to slow down for a little bit lol

that's cool that CO2 will help a lot more, i just figured it wasn't really a requirement considering we had plants growing great in our other tank without CO2 or special lighting.

my plants are growing great without high light or co2 but i just double the loght and added co2 so they can only get better. i mean take a look at my pics in my gallery to see what i mean. my tank was lowlight no co2 and looked awsome so adding mo=re light and co2 will make it even more amazing. to save money buy the co2 system used or off ebay. u should check out serlunchbox's system that he has for sale. if u are worried about money then that should help a little.

I got my CO2 system off Ebay prtty cheap. Let him get it if he wants, just point him to Ebay, lol. And mine was new, not used. :)

Back
Top Bottom