CO2 and XP3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Instead of going to a diffuser, will running the CO2 tuve into the venturi of the XP3's output work? Instead of an airline hooked up to the venturi for bubbles, was wanting to hook the CO2 line to it. From the venturi, it will then go to my spraybar. Has anyone gone that route before, and how effective is it?

Yes, I was using the Venturi -> spraybar, it was allowing a lot of bubbles to the surface, if I had to put a number to it, it would be around 65% efficient..

Another question....

I was looking at the CO2 REACTOR 1000 by AquaMedic. But it says the input and output is 1/2 inch, and the XP3 is 5/8 inches. Can you still use it on the XP3 and how would you do it?

I should probably snap a few pics of my solution...

Basically, I took the endcaps off of the Reactor 1000 and cut off the barbs. I then drilled and tapped to accept a 1/2" MPT fitting. Turns out that 5/8" plastic fittings are not very popular, so I had exactly one choice: a straight 5/8" barb x 1/2" MPT molded in nylon. I didn't like the idea that the hose would be bending 180 degrees right out of the reactor, so I also bought some 1/2" CPVC fittings and pipe to make some return bends.

Basically, I've got two of the same "return bends". One on each end of the Reactor. They look like a "J"

Like this (from the reactor end to the hose end):
_modified Reactor cap_ --> 1/2" MPT fitting --> pipe (maybe 2" long) --> 1/2" ell --> pipe (maybe 1" long) --> 1/2" street ell --> 1/2" FPT fitting --> 1/2"x5/8 barb fitting

I made them as small as I could to minimize side-loading without having interference with the purge valve and gas inlet or reactor body.

Would I get better results if I just drilled a hole in the intake screen of my Marineland powerhead and run the CO2 into the intake of the powerhead instead of going to the output of the XP3 through the venturi? Was planing on using the small powerhead to add a little current to the opposite end of the tank as the XP3.

I use a reactor on my XP3, albeit an AB Reactor 1000 that I paid for. That said, you can easily build a reactor with PVC piping and a few sponges or bioballs that works almost (or just as) as well and pump the outflow from your XP3 right through it. If you're interested I can dig up the specs for it. Easily the most efficient way to inject CO2 out of an XP3.

Maybe later I'll do a DIY reactor, but for now, getting close to my spending limits and still have to get the plants and fish I want. Just looking at other options with things I already have, such as the XP3 venturi, intake of the Marineland Powerhead, or the glass diffuser that came with my Milwaukee regulator, etc. I might go the route of either the glass diffuser or the powerhead intake for now.

Hey, I've been using a glass diffusor on my 30G for over a year now and the plants haven't complained. It just takes a bit more CO2 to get the levels high than it would for a reactor. It's all about efficiency, and CO2 is cheap :)

I now use the redsea diffuser for microbubbles, then let them into the canister filter intake. I'm STILL getting microbubbles to the surface!!

Here's another idea i've done in the past, using a powerhead and a spraybar. It actually gave really great microbubbles and pearling:

ph_sb_diffuser.jpg

I was thinking the same thing, just having either the diffuser under the spraybar or the powerhead. Placement would also be deeper, closer to the bottom so any bubbles are smaller if they do surface.

Here's a pic I snapped last night. Since it's in a corner, it's hard to get good pictures of it...
img_583910_0_421dc5397201d87d8699f8539cc5f31f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom