CO2 at local beer shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nokinja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My local beer and wine making shop has 250g CO2 bottles for $40 purchase and a $5 trade/refill.

If my math is correct, that makes it a half an lb bottle of CO2. Would this bottle work with a CO2 regulator and how long would it last?

I'm confused. 250g CO2 bottles? CO2 isn't measured in gallons. Maybe I misunderstood.

Oh, maybe that was supposed to be grams? Silly me, I've been dealing in gallons of water for too long. I think that would probably do ok.

yeah, 250g is close to 1/2 pound.

Not long would be the answer. Most say that a 5lb tank will last 6 months, so a .5 lb tank would be under a month for sure.

I should mention this will be going on a 33gallon tank.

I have talked to the girl at the store who didn't know much about them so i've asked her to see if she can get me a 5lb tank. I would assume these canisters would have standard connections for a regulator?

Alshain said:
I'm confused. 250g CO2 bottles? CO2 isn't measured in gallons. Maybe I misunderstood.

Ah, yes. This would be grams. :)

The 5lb is what you are looking for. Should last you well over 6 months in a 33 gallon tank. Try welding supply places too, they sell CO2 tanks as well

That seems expensive to me. My 5lb cost about $90, with $8-9 expected for a refill. Remember, your local beer shop buys his CO2 from somewhere else - that somewhere else is the guy you want to buy from. Find a welding supply company.

I've talked to the local welding shop and they charge $53/year for the "rental" of the tank and then $30 for a refill. That seems slightly high compared to what everyone else pays.

These are all Canadian funds.

I don't know how widely spread out they are, but I got mine at a place called Norco. They are a supplier for welding shops, medical supplies, etc. I paid 77.00US for my 5lb and 125.00 for my 10lb. And it's about 17.00 to refill the 5lb, and haven't had to refill the 10lb yet.

Nokinja said:
I've talked to the local welding shop and they charge $53/year for the "rental" of the tank and then $30 for a refill. That seems slightly high compared to what everyone else pays.

These are all Canadian funds.

Even for the East Coast, thats awfully expensive for CO2...you should be able to buy a tank for $60-$75 and get refills for $10-$15.

I picked mine up used from a fire extinguisher place. Most of them will use an old 5 or 10 lb fire extinguisher, replace the valve with a CGA320 valve and sell them for less then 100$ full. (and that's Canadian).

Back
Top Bottom