Co2 booster or metricide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve7274

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I ran out of co2 booster and lfs was out of stock. I have read alot about using metricide. Has anyone used it long term without any negative effects? Also any tips? Or should i stick with using api co2 booster? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How large is your aquarium? IMO, co2 booster or excel wouldn't necessarily break the bank in a nano tank or two. But in larger tanks or if you have a lot of small tanks, Metricide 14 is very cost effective. It's approx 2X stronger than excel so you can either dose a little less or pre-dilute it to excel strength and dose as you would excel/CO2 booster.

If you get Metricide, there's an activator bottle that you DO NOT USE. Just disregard.

One more thing. I haven't searched for a while, because you get a lot of Glut for the money, but the first time I bought Metricide 14 is was approx. $20 a gallon shipped. Last time I needed to replenish my Glut I couldn't find that price again. Metricide 14 jumped in price. However, I did find an eBay seller that was selling Omnicide 14 with a picture of the Metricide bottle with a description of "Metricide / Omnicide" in the title. Anyways, after a little research, due to my apprehension, I felt confident enough to get Omnicide this time around because it was approx. $20+ shipped for a gallon. I've been using it for several months now to no ill effect. Just thought I'd share that in case you wanna save money.

Here's a calculator if you want to dilute the Glut precisely. Otherwise a 50/50 is sufficient.

http://rota.la/glut/

Thank you. I have a 29g and a 10g but what i save could be spent elsewhere. I found metricide on ebay but my next question is there any companies that may be local to me that may stock it? Im guessing ita a specialty item maybe used to clean dental equipment or surgical equipment but thought i would ask. Thanks for your time

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I haven't found any sources locally. I'm pretty sure if you have a friend that works in the dental or medical field, they can probably get you some discounted. But online has been my only source.

Hmmmmm. *asks a half dozen family members in the dental field*

Thanks for the info, Brian. :thanks:

How large is your aquarium? IMO, co2 booster or excel wouldn't necessarily break the bank in a nano tank or two. But in larger tanks or if you have a lot of small tanks, Metricide 14 is very cost effective. It's approx 2X stronger than excel so you can either dose a little less or pre-dilute it to excel strength and dose as you would excel/CO2 booster.

If you get Metricide, there's an activator bottle that you DO NOT USE. Just disregard.

One more thing. I haven't searched for a while, because you get a lot of Glut for the money, but the first time I bought Metricide 14 is was approx. $20 a gallon shipped. Last time I needed to replenish my Glut I couldn't find that price again. Metricide 14 jumped in price. However, I did find an eBay seller that was selling Omnicide 14 with a picture of the Metricide bottle with a description of "Metricide / Omnicide" in the title. Anyways, after a little research, due to my apprehension, I felt confident enough to get Omnicide this time around because it was approx. $20+ shipped for a gallon. I've been using it for several months now to no ill effect. Just thought I'd share that in case you wanna save money.

Here's a calculator if you want to dilute the Glut precisely. Otherwise a 50/50 is sufficient.

http://rota.la/glut/

I'm a big Metricide fan myself, currently dose around 25ml undiluted per day so always looking for a deal. One gallon lasts me a around 5 months.

I to have seen the Ebay deal, is this the one? It's listed for $21 shipped. If it's the same stuff and has no surfactant I'm all for it. Everybody else is around $28. Cidex Metricide Omnicide 14 Day Sterilization Gallon | eBay

Was thinking about buying in bulk, say 4 gal or so. I assume the shelf life is good for a while (of course with the activator thrown out).

I have been using that same one off of eBay for 2 months now. Getting good growth and no ill side effects so far

Back
Top Bottom