co2 cloudyness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryan

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a white cloudyness where my co2 outputs into my tank which is on my diffuser what is it and is it harmful?this is also diy co2.

is there any chance that some of the mixture came out? the only reason i see for the co2 to cloud is if the mixture came out and into the tank.

Is it a film that seems to develop around the output? If it is, I get it all the time and have no clue what it is. I do know it is extremely slimy and almost looks like a jelly type substance.

Yeah, that stuff is normal when using DIY CO2 and is not harmful to your tank. It doesn't look the greatest of course. If you want to minimize the amount that gets into your tank, it's best to install a gas separator/bubble counter like the one described in this article.

I believe its a bacteria that grows in areas of high CO2 content. I get it as well but just wipe it off every couple of weeks. The only problem is if it were to ever clog the inside, but I find that highly unlikely as long as the tubing stays wet, if it were to dry out, thats a different story.

I can't see how the separator would help (unless there are physical particles that are coming through the tubing when this separator is not used), but proof is in the pudding (your results).

I can't see how the separator would help (unless there are physical particles that are coming through the tubing when this separator is not used), but proof is in the pudding (your results).
LeVassuer refers to that stuff on the airstone with DIY as flocculated yeast in the article Purrbox linked. The gas separator bottle doubles as a place to separate this stuff from the gas. It does work, but you don't need to use a 20oz size bottle like he does. I like the little Canady Dry bottles, which are just as effective but cuter and easier to hide. Have to top off more often for exaporation though. (Like every two months.)

If you've got little kids, then those bug juice bottles would probably work pretty well too. Of course you'd need to replace the sport cap with a standard cap so that you could drill it.

well i got about the same size as the canada dry bottles and its working well one question do you have to put some water in it?

You only need to put some water in it if you want to use as a bubble counter in addition to a gas separator. If you're only using it as a gas separator then the water is unecessary.

Back
Top Bottom