CO2 difusser, input/output in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffruth

Aquarium Advice Freak
So this is what I did and I would like some input as to if you think it will work. I believe it will but would like others input on it.

What I did was this...

I plumbed the inline diffuser running off a 125g/hr pump located in the return compartment of my sump. The water goes through the diffuser, then into a DIY CO2 reactor (bio balls to break up the bubbles), then BACK INTO the sump right in front of the return pump intake.

My question is, will this work to get the CO2 into the tank?? I originally plumbed the inline diffuser into my return line, but the flow was slowed down drastically and I abandoned that real quick. Tried the in tank glass diffusers, but didn't have luck with that and didn't like it in the tank. My other option would be to run the line from the pump/reactor into the tank but would rather not go this route.

Cheers

Yes it will work.
You may need to inject more though ?
I ran my CO2 with a controller so I know the water returning to my sump [where reactors and controller probe was located] was getting to level I wanted.
I water bridged my sump so I had the controller probe in the section before and completely separate from the reactor.
There was no other way for the CO2 to reach the probe without going through the whole tank..
I had this running on my 180 and used quite a bit of co2 to drop 1 ph point daily with my lighting cycle.

Have it all set up and running. Added the CO2 drop checker in last night. Will see how it goes when I get home tonight. I have the bubble counter set to 1.5bubbles per second just as a start point. I will increase it as I go till I get a nice lime green colour in the drop checker.

Cheers

Update

Had this setup running for 7 days now. I can see growth and have a nice green in the drop checker. I am using more CO2 to achieve this though.

When I ran my inline difusser in the return line I was at about 3/sec for bubble counter. But this slowed the flow down a lot because the difusser has 3/8" ports on it. By running it through this setup I don't restrict my return and I am now at 5/sec on the bubble counter. Nothing to complain about.

Question: Can I pour Flourish into the return chamber of my sump so it mixes before it hits the tank? Or is it better to pour it into the main tank?

Question: Can I pour Flourish into the return chamber of my sump so it mixes before it hits the tank? Or is it better to pour it into the main tank?

I have always added everything [besides food] to the sump.
I pump water out of part one and add new water in part two to do my water changes..I add de chlore,ferts ,even meds when needed right to the return portion of sump..
IMO you should have no problems..

Back
Top Bottom