CO2 drop checker vs. bubble counter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm on a budget right now, and don't really want to make one right now (even if it could be really cheap), so I was wondering which one would be more important. Right now I'm thinking drop checker, but I'm not sure.

I'd go the drop checker.
Once you've got the PPM set, you won't need the bubble counter much.
I only watched mine for the initial setting, and really, to ball park it, you could just drop the CO2 line into the tank and count those bubbles. After that, use the drop checker as a guide. Just remember, it takes most part of a day for the gas to reach equilibrium after you make a change, so make the changes slowly.
Rick

Drop checker... make sure you buy or make 4 dKH solution for it or the readings will be erroneous.

BTW, you can make a bubble counter for about $2.

Yeah, DIY bubble counters, there's nothing to them.

Technically, I'd rather have the bubble counter tho. You can test your CO2 with a basic kH and pH test kit.

Yeah, DIY bubble counters, there's nothing to them.

Technically, I'd rather have the bubble counter tho. You can test your CO2 with a basic kH and pH test kit.

Only trouble is the pH kH differential test isn't all that accurate. You're better off just doing a before and after pH test. A drop of one full point in pH shows a co2 count of 30 PPM.

Only trouble is the pH kH differential test isn't all that accurate.

Its about as accurate as you ever need, and why a color coded drop checker would be any more accurate is beyond me. As long as you are not adding any buffers to the water, KH/pH has always worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom