CO2 Equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper26

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've had a 20g long planted for about two years now, and a lot of plants have recently died. So I figure it would be a good time to look into CO2, however I know absolutely nothing about it! Can anyone help guide me? :) thanks

The same goes for a 20 as it does for a 200 in terms of the regulator and everything. The only difference would be the amount of co2 being used (and possibly the diffuser). I only recommend that MA957, since it's a good unit and the only one I have experience with.

Thanks!!! So I would need the regulator, a diffuser, and a drop checker (as the necessaries)?
I read about the pH controller, is that needed?
Also does the system have to run on a timer, or does it run constantly (which is better)?

you need the cylinder, regulator, solenoid, needle valve, bubble counter, a diffuser of some sort, and a drop checker. you don't need a ph controller. you want the solenoid on a timer, about 30 minutes to an hour off from the lights, coming on and going off before them

What's the solenoid and needle valve?
How do you know how much CO2 to put in?

Yes, so the solenoid helps adjust the pH?
I still don't understand what the needle valve does?
And other than the color the drop checker gives you is there any other way to tell how much?

A solenoid electrically turns the flow of CO2 on and off.

A needlevalve is a very sensitive low pressure valve that allows you to very precisely control the flow of CO2.

You can measure CO2 using a pH measurement, and a KH measurement, and then applying this formula:

CO2 = 3 * KH * 10^(7-pH)

You need a KH test kit. KH is in degrees in that formula by the way... which is how most test kits will measure it anyways.

Back
Top Bottom