CO2 for a 20 Gallong Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gillie said:
Besides wear and tear on the needle valve a solenoid also has the added benefit of not having to worry about forgetting to turn the co2 on/off and having it set on a timer also ensures that it runs for the allotted time, not sooner or later.

I run my co2 24/7 with no issues at all. All shrimps and fish are healthy and going strong

jetajockey said:
When I priced everything out the co2 regulator/5lb/10lb tank setups are a lot cheaper in the long run. I'd probably use the paintball setup for a nano tank though.

I agree with you jeta, but like you said it will be cheaper in the long run on big tanks. I think he has a 20gal which isn't big. I have 1 running on my 12 gal for over a month and it's still almost full. It also depends on how much you have it valve open as well.

This is what you will need.

- 20 or 24 oz Paintball Co2 Tank
- Paintball Co2 ASA On/Off Valve
- Paintball Co2 Gauge optional
- Needle Valves: A-41 LF or A-40 LF (Lowes)
- Co2 Tubing (homedepot or Lowes)
- Leflon Tape (Homedepot, Lowes or craft stores)
- Check Valve (LFS or walmart)
- Bubble Counter Optional
- Drop Checker Optional

As for the paintball tank, asa & gauge you can find them used in excellent condition and cheap in paintball forums, craigslist or even paintball stores.

I agree with you jeta, but like you said it will be cheaper in the long run on big tanks. I think he has a 20gal which isn't big. I have 1 running on my 12 gal for over a month and it's still almost full. It also depends on how much you have it valve open as well.

It's still cheaper in the long run on a small tank also. The only difference between a small tank running co2 and a big tank running co2 is that the small tank uses less, making the co2 supply last longer.

After initial investment for equipment, the area that large co2 tanks become cheaper is in cost to fill vs cost to buy paintball canisters of the same volume.

But yeah, for a nano tank I wouldn't bother with a big setup. And with either choice I'd get a good NV like a fabco nv-55.

Back
Top Bottom