CO2 for a Fluval Spec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
Skip to the *** to skip the background info

I'm down to one tank now, a Fluval Spec V. I want to make this tank awesome, since I'm not spending time and money on any other tanks. I've had this tank for a few years and have changed things up several times. I went through a period of having too many tanks and after taking them all apart, this one got neglected for a couple months. I am now ready to take good care of it again.

My current setup is:

- flourite/flora max mix substrate
- fine planted plus
- 20inch Finnex planted plus (light runs for about 6 hours daily)
- green crypt wendtii
- a giant green unknown crypt (it used to be dark, but got lighter when i was using the stock light)
- rotala indica
- 1 betta
- 4 cardinal tetras
- 3 ember tetras
- 3 amano shrimp
- 1 red cherry shrimp

I am dosing:
- flourish about weekly
- iron also about weekly
- excel (well matricide) daily, unless I forgot a day or two

Maintenance:
- about weekly 50% water changes
- clean glass

Here is a picture of the tank

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k587/Cherokeeluvr/IMG_0648_zpsxdmkb5i0.jpg

When I left the tank be for a couple months, I didn't dose anything or do any water changes. I used the stock light at that point, and had no algae. The plants really didn't grow during the period, but they didn't die. Yes, I know I shouldn't have neglected it for so long, but I just needed a break!

With the finnex planted plus back on the tank, I'm beginning to experience the wonderful world of algae! The rotala indica is starting to grow again, and the crypts are getting new leaves and sending runners.

*** I'm ready to do some co2 in this tank. I want to be able to grow harder plants than I currently have, and help decrease algae. I have played around with diy co2 in the past, but I'd like to do pressurized co2 now. The problem I'm running into is finding the right co2 setup for a 5 gallon.

I've looked at the fluval co2 kits, but they have mixed reviews. I'm not sure if they would work well for a small tank like mine or not. I don't want to be replacing the cartridges every couple weeks. I'm also concerned with the fact that you can't put it on a timer...

I've also seen some paintball co2 systems, but I don't know if thats overkill for a 5 gallon.

If anybody has put co2 on a 5 gallon or has any ideas please share!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your budget? An AquaTek Premium regulator is around $90. Sometimes you can get the CO2 tubing, check valve, bubble counter bundled in with the regulator. A 24 oz paintball tank is about $25 and the PB adaptor is around $16. You will also need a drop checker and diffuser.
Overkill? Maybe for that size tank but the PB tank will last a long time and if you decide to go with a larger aquarium, you are good to go.

What's your budget? An AquaTek Premium regulator is around $90. Sometimes you can get the CO2 tubing, check valve, bubble counter bundled in with the regulator. A 24 oz paintball tank is about $25 and the PB adaptor is around $16. You will also need a drop checker and diffuser.
Overkill? Maybe for that size tank but the PB tank will last a long time and if you decide to go with a larger aquarium, you are good to go.

I'd like to not go too high above $150 It would be nice if it would work for a 10 gallon as well incase I ever set that back up.

Would it be better to get the AquaTek mini for a paintball tank?

Also, can that regulator can be put on a timer?

It can go on a timer. Mini does not need adapter. You would save about 20 bucks going the mini route.

I dont know for sure but Mini was designed for paintball tank.

Everything needed to set up a paintball co2 system is ordered! I went with a 20oz paintball tank, Aquatek mini(comes with diffuser), drop checker, bubble counter, and tubing. Everything should be here by Monday. I'm super excited to see how this does! I think I will finally be able to create my long desired carpet (planning on Monte Carlo at the moment).

Any plant/aquascpaing suggestions for this tank? I've got a $40 credit at the LFS, so I'll go try to find some more plants.

Goodness! I just finished a water change, so the lid was off my tank. As I was typing this, somebody came inside and slammed the door and my betta jumped right out of the tank, crazy dude!

Glad you got the equipment.
Google aquascape or Iwugami for ideas.
Even though Staur repens is a stem plant, it makes a nice carpet plant.

Just spent 3 1/2 hours trying to get my paintball tank filled... Dick's co2 filler is broken, so they said Walmart will do it. Called Walmart and they said they could so I went there. Got there and they said they don't even have co2. Called academy, they said they could. Went to Academy and they said their filler worked, but nobody knew had to work it. I had to wait an hour for somebody who knew how to work come, only for them to say the filler is broken... Are there any other places that will fill a co2 tank?

That stinks. I've only gone to Dicks sporting goods. If the primary one is closed, I have 2-3 within 15-20 miles.
You might try contacting home beer brewery suppliers or local gas companies. Or try a paintball shop.

Dick's and Academy don't have other stores that are close by, same with paintball stores... :/ I'll have to look into beer brewery suppliers. Hopefully somebody will fix their fillers soon! I regret paying for everything to be shipped by today.

Dick's got their co2 filler fixed, so everything is up and running now! I got a fluval diffuser, and it's not going great.. there's a lot of big bubbles that are still coming up. Is 1 bubbler every 2 seconds good for a 5 gallon tank?

Dick's got their co2 filler fixed, so everything is up and running now! I got a fluval diffuser, and it's not going great.. there's a lot of big bubbles that are still coming up. Is 1 bubbler every 2 seconds good for a 5 gallon tank?

Good to hear you got it all sorted! The diffuser will make finer bubbles eventually. They tend to have large bubbles when new but then turn to mist after they have been running a while. 1 bubble should be fine for the moment. Just keep and eye on the fish and drop checker(if u have one) and it should be all good ;)

Good to hear you got it all sorted! The diffuser will make finer bubbles eventually. They tend to have large bubbles when new but then turn to mist after they have been running a while. 1 bubble should be fine for the moment. Just keep and eye on the fish and drop checker(if u have one) and it should be all good ;)

Awesome, glad I won't be needing to buy a new one! I have a drop checker, so I'll get that all setup.

I think I need a new substrate. I have regular flourite mixed with flora max, which I think will be too big for small stems like Monte Carlo. Does anybody have good suggestions?

Just rescaped the tank. When I turned on the co2, nothing is coming out of the actual diffuser. It's leaking out where the tubing is hooked onto the diffuser. I cut a bit of the tubing to have a new end, and it's still doing the same thing. It's just big bubbles coming out between the tubing and where you attach the tubing onto the diffuser. Does anybody have ideas on how to fix this?

I'm thinking either the diffuser is clogged or the co2 psi is too low.
When was the last time the diffuser was cleaned? Can't recall if this is a new one. Soaking it in 1:1 bleach for a few hours then a thorough rinsing in water plus an overnight soak in water + Prime should help. Do not touch or scrub the ceramic diffuser surface. It will affect it performance.
What is the working psi on the regulator? It needs to be greater than what is required for the diffuser. I've kept the working pressure anywhere between 25-45 psi when I was using the Fluval ceramic diffuser.

Back
Top Bottom