Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Co2 help

Hi guys been a while since I posted my aquarium was doing great had massive growth since adding ferts and co2.

I am finding now that my drop checker is sitting more blue green I have not adjusted the co2 out put but have noticed my maxi mix reactor is brown inside so not sure if it's effecting the flow.

Quite a few of my plants are dissolving and loosing alot of leafs I have had an out break on green slime algae on my bog wood recently and as quick as I clean it it's regrowing.

My lights are led tri spec 90 - 100cm bigger than specified for that tank as it was not hitting the substrate with enough light I added fluval life spec t5ho my motor carlo was dieing out it was until recently sending out shoots its grown a little as seen in the last picture. Also my reineckii mini was grown in like wild fire it has stopped and seems to be getting brown and holes all over.

I dose with dry ferts 3 times macro and micro a week with 1 rest day in between.

I'm now concerned my plants will die off
Any advice.

Pics from co2 start to 1 week ago I have recently trimmed a few plants and removed the becopa monnieri as it was covered in green algae.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1527441841686.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	309147Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180521_223216.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	309148Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180531_213600.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	309149Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180531_213645.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	309150

Old 06-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How old is your drop checker solution?

If it is new then your dirty reactor is probably affecting how co2 enters the solution. Thatís where I would start

Old 06-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What is the max pH drop from your degassed water to your "prime" photoperiod water? It needs to be 1.0 - 1.2 to reach sufficient CO2 levels.

What type of macro and micro ferts are you dosing? Huge difference in using CSM+B vs Flourish Comprehensive for micros.

How much water are you changing weekly?

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

Check for leaks in your system too.. And of course make sure the bottle is not empty. Also if ou are using check vlaves they tend to go bad after a little while so make sure your check valves are still funtioning and plumbed correctly

Pretty obvious your not dissolving the CO2 since there is no PH drop so if the above 2 suggestions are not an issue then scrub that reactor and make sure it functions well.
Funken_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funken_A View Post
Check for leaks in your system too.. And of course make sure the bottle is not empty. Also if ou are using check vlaves they tend to go bad after a little while so make sure your check valves are still funtioning and plumbed correctly

Pretty obvious your not dissolving the CO2 since there is no PH drop so if the above 2 suggestions are not an issue then scrub that reactor and make sure it functions well.
Done all the above and the drop checker has new solution after dismantling the max mix reactor I'm now getting bubbles being expelled from the filter return although my drop checker is green. Thanks for the advise all.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

If you could connect the CO2 line to a ceramic CO2 diffuser and run it in a glass of water (large enough to fit the drop checker) you should be able to quickly test the color changing phases of the drop checker (taking the reactor and filter out of the equation).
Old 06-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
What is the max pH drop from your degassed water to your "prime" photoperiod water? It needs to be 1.0 - 1.2 to reach sufficient CO2 levels.

What type of macro and micro ferts are you dosing? Huge difference in using CSM+B vs Flourish Comprehensive for micros.

How much water are you changing weekly?
I'm using the EI dry ferts this is the guides I follow on my dosing Click image for larger version

Name:	1529268749988.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	309331

I'm currently changing between 35 to 50% per week
Old 06-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
If you could connect the CO2 line to a ceramic CO2 diffuser and run it in a glass of water (large enough to fit the drop checker) you should be able to quickly test the color changing phases of the drop checker (taking the reactor and filter out of the equation).
My drop checker has been turning green since I changed my check valve and cleaned the reactor I have also decreased my spray bar level as the surface flow was crazy which I found out increases the exchange of co2 gasses
Old 06-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanhep View Post
My drop checker has been turning green since I changed my check valve and cleaned the reactor I have also decreased my spray bar level as the surface flow was crazy which I found out increases the exchange of co2 gasses

Thatís good to know.
You can keep the surface agitation (which adds oxygen) but you would have to increase the CO2 to compensate for the loss.

Tags
co2

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com