Co2 in 55 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marshallc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm interested to know what people use in the larger tanks as far as co2. I tried the DIY and even had 4 2 liter bottle going on it and honestly I couldn't tell a difference.

I'm on the edge of going pressurized.

But I want to know what some of you guys do as far as yours. And possibly some pictures if you don't mind.

I love seeing other tanks :)

I'm interested to know what people use in the larger tanks as far as co2. I tried the DIY and even had 4 2 liter bottle going on it and honestly I couldn't tell a difference.

I'm on the edge of going pressurized.

But I want to know what some of you guys do as far as yours. And possibly some pictures if you don't mind.

I love seeing other tanks :)

IMO, DIY co2 is not really feasible on tanks larger than 30g. From then on your best options would be liquid carbon or pressurized. Pressurized is definitely more efficient but liquid carbon generally takes a lighter toll on your wallet. If you are willing to spend the money on a pressurized system, though, I would definitely go for it.

Yea I've been doing excel. But now that I'm thinking of doing a second planted tank I'm really thinking pressurized will be better off.

Was thinking of doing the paintball tank one on the 40 but running. A 5lb on the 55

Yea I've been doing excel. But now that I'm thinking of doing a second planted tank I'm really thinking pressurized will be better off.

Was thinking of doing the paintball tank one on the 40 but running. A 5lb on the 55

I personally would not do paintball on that sized tank, you would quickly drain the small canisters and would have to get frequent refills. You could possibly get a splitter for the 5# tank, though, so you can use the same co2 tank for two different aquariums.

I was thinking that but they are going to be on opposite sides of the house :(

I was thinking that but they are going to be on opposite sides of the house :(
I see, that's tough. Depending on lighting level, you could possibly get away with dosing liquid carbon in one of the tanks. This will work if your lighting level is in the medium range. If you have super high light, though, pressurized will probably be needed to avoid big algae issues.

Last edited:
Currently the 55 has quad 6500k t5ho lighting. But I'm only running 2 until I can figure out how to fight the bba.

As for the 40 I'm thinking of ordering the same light just dual t5ho is read of quad. The 40 is. Breeder also

Currently the 55 has quad 6500k t5ho lighting. But I'm only running 2 until I can figure out how to fight the bba.

As for the 40 I'm thinking of ordering the same light just dual t5ho is read of quad. The 40 is. Breeder also

The 55 definitely will need co2 once all 4 bulbs are running. Pressurized co2 may help with the algae. If you just get the dual bulb fixture for the 40, you probably could just do liquid carbon.

That's what I'm hoping. I can't decided on what cos I want to go with. To many choices and everyone's reviews are so mixed

I found a regulator on eBay for about 50 and got a 5lb co2 tank from a hydroponics store for 65 so it was not to bad. I don't know where abouts you are but I did see the 5lbs online for about the price as well.

Yea I saw a few on eBay I'm really leaning on the Milwaukee one. I'm in Charlotte nc. Lots of shops around here with co2

I'm in Portland or... so hydroponics every where..... I got a chepo reg from china just hooked it up today so we'll see how well it works lol. So far so good.

Hopefully it'll run good for ya. I may end up cheapens out on a few things. Budget getting smaller and smaller lol especially planning a second tank

That will get us all... I fig ill run chepo tell I see how well it works and if it is worth the extra for a good reg. If all goes well I want to have dwarf baby tears as a carpet.

Yea I just planted some dwarf hair grass. Gonna see how well it does. Got it free from my buddy at pet smart so win or lose I'm good haha

Hi - I'm also thinking of going pressurized CO2 for my 55g.

I've been looking at this - but I'm concerned that A) It's friggin $$$, and B) I'm running an HOB filter right now, not a canister, so I'm a little confused as to whether I am better off buying the system with an in-tank CO2 distributor or if I should switch/add a canister and use the inline system (and if so, what are the parameters for buying a good one for a 55g?)

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread - I'll go start another if you feel I'm being rude! Just thought since we're looking to get into this, I'd be interested to share angst / experiences figuring it out. :)

Back
Top Bottom