co2 injection and water clouding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shuri

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everybody,
I have started to use a pressurized co2 system since yesterday and noticed today that water looks a bit cloudy white. I usually change a half of water of my 40 gallon tank every week. Fish seem to be still doing alright, but since it happened since yesterday, I cannot find any other reason except co2 injection. Somebody had a same problem? If you could identify what the problem is, any suggestion to solve the issue? Thank you for your time in advance.

I had this same problem when using co2. I was using diy co2 and noticed the water went cloudy as my PH went up. This happened as my diy co2 mixture stopped out putting bubbles at the required rate to maintain my ph.

So as my PH rose my water went cloudy. This could be back synphoning of your co2 mixture however if you are on pressurised I would doubt that.

How I solved this was to redo my co2 batch of yeast. My PH went down to 7.0 and the cloudyness went.
Do you have a check valve in place and is your co2 at a constant rate?

Another reason could be a mini cycle in your tank, maybe occuring because of the addition of co2. If this is the case it should clear in a few days.

Also it could be an algae bloom caused my excess waste/nutrients in the water. Do a 25% water change daily and cut back feeding to once a day maximum.

Let me know how you get on

Pressurized co2 shouldn't cloud a tank IMO. You aren't using a yeast mixture and its pure co2, so that wouldn't be the culprit IMO.

Also, co2 shouldn't cause a mini cycle as it only affects pH.

How are you diffusing the co2? You are sure it is cloudy and not just mini-bubbles from whatever you are diffusing co2 with? Has anything changed with your stock (anything added recently, missing, or dead)?

I have used pressurized co2 for a while now and I have never had issues with cloudy water. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I just don't think its the cause.

every time i uproot a plant i get cloudy water. any chance of that?
what kind of substrate?

Back
Top Bottom