CO2 into a filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking at my tank today, and got angered at how ugly the airline in the tank was, can I move it into my filter without losing a bunch of it, since there is a lot of moving water there? I had it in a place with no movement. My 2nd batch of CO2 is brewing up and I took the first one off. Let me know, I am going to put it in there to start, and I can move it if it is not as good.

Well, something just hit me, if the water is moving it will dissolve more CO2, right, so it should be better, we will see, thanks a lot.

CO2 needs time to dissolve. That's why most systems you buy have a zigzag diverter that allows the bubbles to stay submerged a lot longer. A lot of CO2 would be released in the waterfall action of the filter where O2 is incorporated. I don't see this as a viable option.

Ok, no more then, but at the moment, my bubbles just go straight to the top, is this a bad thing?

Yeah, you need a diverter of some sort so the CO2 has more time to dissolve into the water. Being a gas, CO2 does not absorb that fast into an Oxygen rich tank. You could also atomize it so there is more surface area to be absorbed.

Atomize? Abu

I got an airstone tonight at the LFS, and some crickets for my toads, they can bust up some crickets man

Well, I fed my toads earthworms for a few weeks, but I had to grab the toad, and set them next to it, or it would crawl done into the gravel and rot. Also, my filter I am using is small, so I wanted a media bag, I thought hey, why not use some of my moms panty hose and gravel. It works great. Had to share it.

I cant find the site but one reccomended using the bottom section of a clear soda bottle and anchoring it down to the bottom of your tank and placing the tubing so the bubbles would collect into this and mix with your water instead of going straight to the top.

That is a good idea, but that would put way too much CO2 in the tank, since it is just a 5.5 gallon.

I like that little gold thing Bearfan, but it looks like the refils are expensive, and once I get the CO2 system, it wont really change. (i am looking at getting the cheap nutrifin-hagen system)

I have the cheap nutrifin-hagen system and it seems to work great. I can't bring myself to go with an expensive CO2 tank system...or was it my wife that said I can't bring myself to go with an expensive CO2 tank system. I can't seem to remember.

I got my toads, some bigger crickets today, and they busted the first ones up, really cool to see.

i run my co2 line into the intake tube of my power filter. the impellor on the filter breaks up the bubbles and i am left with a rather high co2 concentration (and a noisy filter). i do have a gang valve on my co2 line, so i can to some extent control my bubble rate.

That sounds like a plan, but I am getting that big peice of plastic that should dissolve most of it. I have to do some pruning tonight, any ideas on how to for a Ludwigia?

My experience is that propagating Ludwigia by cuttings is about 60% effective. The secret is to have a higher Iron content in your aquarium. Ludwigia is a known Iron hog.

Well, my asian ambulia is really showing signs of growth, and my tank is getting some algae, I dont know if this is good, is it?

Back
Top Bottom