co2 - is it possible to use paintball equipmant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thinking about a temporary co2 system until I start working at the LFS. I've got access to a few 20oz paintball co2 bottles, but I have no idea if this really would be a cheaper, or even possible route.

Looking around, I really cant seem to find the necissary hardware to connect to the ASA fitting on there and get co2 tubing attached to it.

Has anyone found any threads or guides on doing this?

For the most part I believe that it has been deterimined in prior threads that it really isn't cost effective to use paintball cylinders for injecting CO2. I did notice recently that Red Sea has started making a CO2 regulator for paintball cylinders.

For some reason the board doesn't like the direct link to the product. It's listed on this page fifth from the bottom.

No idea if this makes using paintball cylinders any more viable or not.

Try your local Rc or airplane hobby shop. They should have fittings. If it works, I wouldn't even switch to the larger stuff. That would be so compact and easy to hide and use why go bigger? Unless it is cheaper to fill more than less CO2?

fish_4_all said:
Try your local Rc or airplane hobby shop. They should have fittings. If it works, I wouldn't even switch to the larger stuff. That would be so compact and easy to hide and use why go bigger? Unless it is cheaper to fill more than less CO2?

Well, I dont even remember how much one CO2 fill is for a paintball cylinder, but around here a 5lb bottle will cost you anywhere between $7-$15, which will usually last about 6 months from what I've read.

So I bet in the long run that going with a bigger tank would be more economical.

I also noticed that Red Sea has started making those regs, and for $99, I think I might as well go with a real regulator and tank.

I'll keep looking into it though, maybe visit the local paintball and hobby stores to see what I can dig up.

Most of the cost for refilling a tank is the labor so you end up spending a lot less when you are using a larger cylinder.

A proper regulator for a paintball cylinder for 25PSI output would have to come from palmers pursuit shops. they are about 165$ (More expensive then a milwaukee all in one) and the fills would pay for the difference in buying a 5 or 10lb tank in about 3 months..

Definately not cost efficient, even as a temporary setup.

"Beer Stabilizer w/20 oz tank
Qty: Price: $164

Ultra Low pressure setup for dispensing beer. Smallest compact beer system available from PPS. Can consistently regulate down to 2 psi. Dual fail safe system. Co2 tank included with the kit. PSI adjustable from 0-80 psi. 5 psi for dispensing and 30 psi for re-carbonation."

from http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/online-catalog/stabilizer.htm

Most other paintball regs will only be reliable with > 75PSI output..

The Female model is 80$ (or the same price as the all in one) and has no guages.

someone on the board here did it with a weird regulator and a valve...but it wasn't automated in anyway.
IIRC, he had to turn on CO2 in the morning and would create a large CO2 bubble. then he'd close the valve and let that CO2 dissolve for several hours. it wasn't consistent CO2 in the tank, and was very much manually operated.

I know there's an adapter to go from paintball to standard CO2 cylinder size, but it runs $60-$70..plus the regulator.

When I used to play paintball, it was $4.50 for 7-9oz fill. I can get 5lbs for $12, 10lbs for $15, and it lasts so much longer.

Here it's 5$ for a 20Oz fill, 15 for a 10lb cylinder..

The adapter he used was a remoteline which is the same as an on/off. They cost about 50$ (US).. and turning it on too much can lead to blown lines.. Co2 out of a cylinder is 850-1000PSI (depending on temperature) and a remoteline in no way reduces the pressure.

remote.jpg

http://www.badlandspaintball.com/airsystems/remotes.html

Back
Top Bottom