CO2 is Too High, Female Ram Stressed, Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came home from work today to find some of my plants pearling and my female Blue Ram standing in one spot and gulping constantly, this is not like her, she's usually very active. I immediately put an air stone in my tank and turned down the CO2. None of the other fish appear to be stressed, only her, although she did eat a little Brine Shrimp. Is there anything else I can do for her? I am so worried, I've had her for a while now and her and my male Ram are quite an item. He is staying right by her side and if any other fish come near her, he chases them off.

My water parameters appear to be fine, except for CO2 levels, my ph is 6.4 with KH at 70, which according to Chuck's calculator, I'm getting 46 ppms of CO2. I know that the female Rams are a lot more sensitive, could this be the reason why it's affecting her more than others. I just can't loose her, this couple are my favorites, damn.

Sorry for going on like this. Should I turn the CO2 completely off?

CO2 and O2 levels are independent of each other. From everything I have read CO2 levels being slightly high do not harm your fish. I would not turn your CO2 off, maybe back it down a little,. I know people who keep CO2 at 40 or so and I have not heard that their fish have suffered from it. Did she stop gasping when you added the airstone?

No she didn't stop gasping, it must be something else then. Damn, I think I would rather have it be too much CO2 rather than something I can't see. Thank you for your quick response Rich, it's very much appreciated. Hopefully it's something that will pass, although I really doubt it. Judging by passed experiences with female Rams, this isn't good.

Hi....

At that CO2 level, you shouldn't have any problems. I keep my ph controller set so my CO2 levels are 30-46ppm, and both my Bolivian Rams and German Blue Rams are just fine. In fact, my Bolivians had their first spawning as well just over a week ago. So I know your CO2 is not a problem there.

Is the tank completely covered with a glass top? Since she's a labrynith fish, maybe try removing a pane so CO2 between water surface and the top can outgas. (This may only make sense in my head and do nothing at all.)

Thank you, I didn't think it was, she has spawned 3 times in the last month with the male and the levels have been about the same, maybe a little lower. There must be something wrong with her then, she just stays in one spot gulping. Well all I can do is hope for the best.

Sorry czcz, we must have posted at the same time. I think I understand what your saying, thanks for the advice.

Sorry -- incorrectly read female betta. Good luck and best wishes :(

I can verify that rams are fine @ high Co2. My 3 (2 female, 1 male) are fine with a KH between 4-5 and a PH of 6.5 (Average would be 42ppm)..

Hope she feels better soon..

As for the top, that can be an idea to try. Not sure what other fish you have. I don't have my glass top on anymore, I leave it off. Haven't had any jumpers yet, and if I do get any, will put it back on.

I'm sorry to hear about your fish and hope she's better now. You said your plants were pearling - that means the water is saturated with oxygen, and like Rich says, the CO2 and O2 are independent of each other - the CO2 does not displace the O2 in the water. Has anything else changed - has your pH-KH always been at those readings, did the temperature change for some reason? Have you done an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate test? Has she perked up since you turned down the CO2? I agree with the others that the CO2 is not likely to be the problem but if she perks up, then I would leave it turned down while you figure out what else it could be.

Female didn't make it!

She died during the night, I am totally baffled as to what happened to her. My water parameters are all fine, been the same for quite a while. All the other fish are fine. She was one of my favorites, so pretty with lots of spunk. She would go head to head with my male wild Ram before I sold him, damn. The only thing that I can think of is she's spawned quit a few times since I've had her, almost weekly, so I'm wondering if this may have had something to do with it.

I don't know what it is about the females, seems every one I've had died on me. Her and the one in my 10 gallon have lasted the longest, I've had them both for about 3 months now. I'm thinking of putting the other female, who's currently in my 10 gallon tank, in the 29 gallon planted to keep the male company.

It would be very interesting to hear from people who have female Rams that have lived for a good period of time, i.e., more than 6 months, and are still healthy and doing fine. Maybe I'll start a link on the fish forum.

when plants pearl, that indicates oxygen saturation of the water. so she definitely wasn't gasping from lack of available O2.

did you by chance recently do a water change? I ask because I've had no luck keeping german blue rams. basically every time I would do a 25% water change, a ram would die. there were some rummy nose tetra in the tank ,and some cories, and they were always fine.

I have semi-hard water though, which I think was stressing the rams. no room for an RO/DI unit, so I gave up on them.

Back
Top Bottom