CO2 ladder? with 2 bottles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla870

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok here it goes. i start my CO2 about 6pm yesterday. watched it until midnight and the gas pushed it half way down the ladder. this morning it made it to the end of the hose and like every 5 mins the bubble would escape to the ladder and only travel 2 levels up. is this ok or am i lined up wrong.

You ought to have more bubbles than that, so I'd say the mixture is not optimal (or is just taking a while to get cranking - should be one bubble every 5-10 seconds or so).

Also, when a ladder is new and does not have a biofilm on it sometimes bubbles get "stuck" and after it has been in there a while they travel smoothly up the ladder. You can try adjusting it to be absolutely sure it is level, though, and see if that helps. I used to get tiny baby snails that would be on the ladder and keep the bubbles from progressing up the line, lol!

zilla870 said:
how long up the line until i connect the T-connector. my bottle is on the floor.

It doesn't matter, really. You could connect them closer to the lids or right at the tank. Don't forget a check valve to keep water from syphoning out of teh tank through the tube.

the idea behind having two bottles from what Ive been told is so that you can maintain output.. when you find out how long your mix produces good output you can recharge your bottles at different times so that you have a more constant output.. correct me if im wrong here.. malkore..

I'm not Malkore but that is what I used to do - I'd stagger my mixtures so that one was going strong when the other one was slowing down, so I never had them both stop production at the same time. Glad you brought that up, greenmagi!

yeah, i thought of that but thanks away. you guyz are great help. thankz again. by you saying that i feel even better about my ideal

I went with 4 bottles, my uber mixture last about a month, so i change 2 bottles every 2 weeks.

these are T'd in pairs, then all 4 go into my DIY bubble counter. I have one way valves everywhere...so prevent flowback.

the mixture per bottle....

1/2 packet of yeast
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tablespoon Molasses
1 scoop safeway brand "Muscle Blast" coco protein powder.

I re-hydrate the yeast for 20 minutes in a cup with a tsp of sugar, then mix it all up and fill my 2 liter 4 inches from the top. I let this sit open over night before hokoing it into my system.

Zezmo, why do you use three different fuels? This helps increase effective mix time and stability compared to using just molasses or protein powder? TIA

I said malkore because he usually corrects me when it comes to plant facts..LOL. and Im curious how your mix lasts a month Zezmo, the science behind it?.

Well, I am not a scientist... so no scientific answers.

I basically tried 3 or so "basic" formulas and was disappointed at them petering out after a week or two. So I did a munch of research, internet, some old magazines, read some books at my LFS, plus I looked a little bit at stuff for brewing.

The formula I use was basically me combining elements of several other folks formulas, that they claimed were long lasting. One person talked of adding a little Molasses, not for the sugar, but for some other trace element in there (sorry I'm at work and my notes are at home). Another person suggested some protein powder, this made sense to me, as it replaces say Grain in brewing. And the coco stuff was on sale, so I went with it. The rest (sugar/bakingsoda) are pretty common in most formula's. But several sources I read talked about how too high a concentration of sugar is also inhibitive to yeast. So the key there seems to be get as much water as you can safely put in your bottle. One last thing that I read several places was the importance of gently re-hydrating your yeast, before it goes into the full solution. Also, the need to let it begin its process exposed to air for the first day or so.

I don't wash the bottles between re-fills, and even try to leave a very small amount of the old formula in there to help get things started. (I only saw this advice from one source, but it also seems to "work")

So no real science per se, just a lot of research and using my own gut feeling to help me put it together. lol... actually that describes most of how I have approached this whole hobby. research a lot, ask a few questions, and then go with what feels right to me.

I thought I heard my name...

Yes I too used to use 2 bottles, mainly for enough output, but I did indeed stagger their 'start times' about 2 weeks apart.

sounds like you did your research Zezmo! Oxygen is important. you should shake the bottle after adding the re-hydrated yeast. Shake it very hard, for a good 30-45 seconds. Then hook it up.

This is the only safe time to shake your DIY bottle though!

what kind of mix do you use malkore. the mix that comes with my bottle bites. its that naf natural co2 plant system kit. sugar to first line then the 2 packs in then water to 2nd line.

Zezmo said his mix lasts a month.. I would be inclined to try it..LOL :mrgreen:
he listed it on the first page of this thread.... if you missed it..
Not that Im not interested in Malkore's mix.. how long does yours normally last??

nice set up but i put my check valves a little different then you. mine goes bottles, check valves, then T-connector. this way the bottle do fill each other they can only go to the ladder.

Back
Top Bottom