CO2 Level and BBA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
7Enigma said:
I am still very confident that it was not the peroxide that caused the death of the fish unless the peroxide was poured directly on the fish that died. At that concentration it just doesn't add up.
do not think i pour direct on the otos, i pour directly into the outflow stream from my powerhead...

Well, we are all fish killers at some point in our hobby. :)
Poor fish.

If you add extra dechlor to the tank after rinsing, that is always added insurance.
Peroxide does not have something thast will do that.
Typically peroxide last about 1 hour in the tank before it decomposes.
Both bleach and H2O2 are strong oxidizers and will effects living tissues in a similar manner.

CO2 will kill fish too, many do that.
Adding too much baking soda too fast will also.
SeaChem Excel can also kill fish, at higher levels it's also a general biocide and is used to fix tissue samples.

Not too much else folks commonly add will do too much damage to fish.
Scaleless fish/catfish etc, tetras, Amano shrimps, these tend to be the "canary in the mine".

These are also the fish/critters I most like.
Just make sure you help someone else not make that mistake:)

Regards,
Tom Barr

Well, I think you can rule out the Chlorine causing the fish deaths then and it's highly likely it was the peroxide then.

If you did not do that step, then it's very tough to tell which chemical killed the fish.
They both have similar impacts.

SeaChem Excel is a better solution but cost more, at leats it grows plants and has directions on the bottle for dosing.

Adding peroxide will not grow plants.
All it does is kill algae inside the tank for the most part.
Excel will do this, do it slower and has less impact on fish.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back
Top Bottom