CO2 level and distribution questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Pressurized CO2 rookie here with 2 questions.

1. I have a drop checker (placed the opposite side of the tank from the co2) which is showing green when the C02 is on with a SLIGHT tinge of yellow in it so I was reading that as being the high end of the right range. On the other hand, my KH reads 7 and the Ph is 7.4 which shows on the chart as just outside the ideal range (but on the low side).

Which test do I go by?

2. I am not sure the CO2 is distributing very well. I had the CO2 at one end of the tank (60g long) and it was very noticeable that the plants near the diffuser were growing much better than the other end. I saw pearling on most of the plants (even the far end) but the growth difference was very noticeable. FYI I have a HOB filter which I was hoping would do the job of distribution.

I know you can use a powerhead but I'm wondering if there are any other techniques you guys/gals use?

Thanks!!

Sally

I got a canister and set the diffuser up below the intake to the canister... seems to be working for me :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1431553130383.jpg
    1431553130383.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 48
I got a canister and set the diffuser up below the intake to the canister... seems to be working for me :)

Thanks but I have a HOB (no room for a canister). I suppose I could set it up under the HOB but I assumed that would mean I'd just lose a lot of the CO2 from the disturbance from the HOB (although I keep the water high so there are no bubbles.)

If there's no bubbles that's much better. Set it up under the current of the hob. If that's all you got, you gotta do what you gotta do

Oh I got no suggestions! Haha I just got my first co2 system today lol

Pressurized CO2 rookie here with 2 questions.

1. I have a drop checker (placed the opposite side of the tank from the co2) which is showing green when the C02 is on with a SLIGHT tinge of yellow in it so I was reading that as being the high end of the right range. On the other hand, my KH reads 7 and the Ph is 7.4 which shows on the chart as just outside the ideal range (but on the low side).
Ensure that you are using 4dKH solution in your drop checker. You can either make it yourself How to make 4dKH? or you can buy it already pre-made online at Green Leaf Aquariums. If you can afford an electronic PH Controller that would be an ideal way to go.

Which test do I go by?

2. I am not sure the CO2 is distributing very well. I had the CO2 at one end of the tank (60g long) and it was very noticeable that the plants near the diffuser were growing much better than the other end. I saw pearling on most of the plants (even the far end) but the growth difference was very noticeable. FYI I have a HOB filter which I was hoping would do the job of distribution.

I know you can use a powerhead but I'm wondering if there are any other techniques you guys/gals use?

Thanks!!

Sally

I use a canister filter and a HOB AquaClear. A power head will work too, but you really need something to supply some current to get the CO2 to all of the plants. With a 60G long, I would look into a canister filter in combination with your existing HOB.

When did you measure pH? Is 7.4 as low as it gets when co2 is running? Drop checkers are usually a decent indicator when used properly, but I prefer to double-check by comparing pH values. Check your baseline pH by setting out a cup of tank water for 24 hours. Compare this to the pH of the tank midway through the photoperiod. A pH drop of 1 full degree is a good starting point and should be approximately 30 ppm co2.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use drop checkers too. just keep in mind that they take 1-2 hours to provide accurate readings...so adjust CO2 gradually.

Is there a common way to not use a drop checker properly?

I filled up my drop checker halfway with that liquid stuff...

Just making sure I did it right haha

Is there a common way to not use a drop checker properly?

I filled up my drop checker halfway with that liquid stuff...

Just making sure I did it right haha

You're good then. It does help to learn how and why it works, and understand why you need to use a reference solution, etc.

Common mistakes include not using the proper solution, never cleaning it out to make sure there is no buildup that would hinder gas exchange, assuming you can rely on watching the drop checker instead of your fish when first setting up or when adjusting co2, etc.

Ensure that you are using 4dKH solution in your drop checker. You can either make it yourself How to make 4dKH? or you can buy it already pre-made online at Green Leaf Aquariums. If you can afford an electronic PH Controller that would be an ideal way to go.

I am using the solution that came with it (it's the fluval one) so that should work, right?

I use a canister filter and a HOB AquaClear. A power head will work too, but you really need something to supply some current to get the CO2 to all of the plants. With a 60G long, I would look into a canister filter in combination with your existing HOB.

Thanks but I just don't have room for a canister. The tank I have has a stand that is half shelves so no room inside and I think they are too wide to go behind my tank as the way I set it up there's only a few inches (but I'll measure to check)......

When did you measure pH? Is 7.4 as low as it gets when co2 is running? Drop checkers are usually a decent indicator when used properly, but I prefer to double-check by comparing pH values. Check your baseline pH by setting out a cup of tank water for 24 hours. Compare this to the pH of the tank midway through the photoperiod. A pH drop of 1 full degree is a good starting point and should be approximately 30 ppm co2.

I measured the PH at the end of the co2 period so yes I am guessing that's the lowest. I know before (when the co2 was lower) it was 7.6 but I'll try taking a reading as you suggest after it's sat for 24 hours. Or what about if I test before the co2 turns on - isn't that the same?

I'm guessing you'll need to use the high-range pH test. You can just test tank water before co2 turns on, but only if you're sure it has reached equilibrium. Running an air stone for one night would help speed up the process. You just want to make sure the pH is steady and no longer rising before testing.

Back
Top Bottom