CO2 levels.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabezon

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a new CO2 system, but nothing with which to measure the levels. So I was watching the fish and turning down the CO2 when they were at the surface. Well, not a good idea. I don't know what was up, but by the end of it, the co2 was closed. lol

I don't know what was causing the fish to surface. I would guess ammonia from a dead fish.

I opened the reg and now it is time to start over.

CO2 will drop pH and dissolved O2 levels. Your fish were probably responding to that. IMHO, there has been too much emphasis on the addition of CO2 lately. For it to be used effectively, all three components must be in balance (lighting, nutrients, and CO2). CO2 should be the last element added.

Again, JMO. I've run high tech planted tanks in the past and have decided that I prefer the lower tech, lower maintenance approach.

co2 and o2 levels are independent for the most part. unless you dump a ton of co2 in the tank there shouldnt be a problem.

all three components must be in balance
balance is a key..... co2 isnt always a must though it can help improve even the low light tanks. normally though its light >co2 >ferts

I have about 200 watts of T5HO in a 90 galon tank. I use miracle grow as a fert and just have a few plants at the moment. Mostly my post was a comment on how I did not put water it the bubble counter, and did not notice that the CO2 was off.

I have two canister filters running on the tank. One has a skimmer intake (DIY) and the other has the output near the surface causing a good amount of agitation.

would having an air pump blowing bubbles defeat the CO2?

I believe so. I am still new to the platned tank thing but I have read this numerous times. I have also read that you could put the oxygen on at night, when the plants aren't using any oxygen, and the co2 on in the daytime.

I believe so. I am still new to the platned tank thing but I have read this numerous times. I have also read that you could put the oxygen on at night, when the plants aren't using any oxygen, and the co2 on in the daytime.

+1 i have read it multiple times as well. it doesn't matter so much on tanks with no CO2 setup, but it will diffuse the CO2 that has been injected into the tank. as Lacey said, you could put the bubbles on at night as the plants aren't using CO2 while the lights are off. you could just set up your lights and air pumps on opposite timers.

the other has the output near the surface causing a good amount of agitation.

air pumps or surface agitation of any kind defeats the purpose of the co2.

Back
Top Bottom