CO2 Mist or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kefner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have an Eclipse 3 hood. I need to do CO2 as my plants are looking a little sad, and I'm trying to fight off some algae. My question is what would be best. I'm starting with DYI until I can get the pressurized pieces in next month. What would be the way to go? Reactor? or Misting?

Thanks

Short answer = Misting

Longer answer with questions = are you sure you need CO2?

How much light do you have? (watts and type of bulb)

How big is the tank? (Volume)

are you adding any fertilizers? (Trace, NO3, PO4, K)

What kind of algae do you have? do not know? Check HERE

although CO2 is important, so are the answer to the above questions, CO2 may not be the only reason you have Algae and you plants look "sad".

I'm not familiar with your filter but I imagine it is similar to a hob filter? That being the case, I would think that misting would be the way to go.

I have converted the bulbs over to a 65 watt CF dual daylight (6.5k,10k). I'm dosing with Florish products right now until my Greg Watson supplies come in. I had been using Excel in the past, until about two weeks ago when the bottle ran out. My Rotla Indica has not grown at all since the excel ran out. My E. Tenellus has started to wither a bit. And there is a fine black thread like coming off the E. Tenellus in a small section. Also I've been fighting GW since the Excel ran out. Now I'm not sure if all is related to the Excel or not. But I had been using excel for about two months with out any of these problems. So I linked it to the Excel. I don't have my test kits in yet, so I can't really give the basics.

While misting will give you the best plant growth, a reactor is often more than enough. You'll also need to decide if having a ton of tiny bubbles floating around the tank is going to bother you or not. If it will, then the reactor is probably better in your situation. If you just want to maximize growth pure and simple, then mist is probably the best option.

Back
Top Bottom