CO2 movement in tank, just bought nutrafin ladder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MC1973

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all so I just bought the nutrafin ladder and I do realize it takes a couple of days for the slime coat to form and the bubbles to really start moving.

My question is, even if the bubbles just sit on the ladder, is the co2 still diffusing into my water so that at least some of it still gets to my plants as I wait for the bubbles to start moving?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply and yes! They are moving up the ladder and almost completely disappear at the top! :D

On question though, I have read that you need to put the co2 diffuser away from the filter in the instructions, so I have it on the other side of my 10 gallon tank, will the diffused co2 still get to the rest of my plants effectively?

Thanks!

I have mine setup the same way. I have an amazon sword on the other side right under my filter that is pearling. It will do fine :)

Man I was considering this for my planted tank. How well does it ework you guys? Could I see a pic of it doing its thang lol?

The downside to these is that they aren't as efficient as a powerhead or reactor... if you're really crankin the co2, you'll get a lot of bubbles breaking the surface, which means escaped co2

Yeah but there a lot cheaper until I decide I wana go hardcore c02. Right now my diy is just under 1 buble per 2 sec. Or so..

mfdrookie516 said:
The downside to these is that they aren't as efficient as a powerhead or reactor... if you're really crankin the co2, you'll get a lot of bubbles breaking the surface, which means escaped co2

Very true, but works in a pinch

My ladder defuser is a pain. I've cleaned it, leveled it, propped it up on an angle, tired everything, but all I get is a row of bubbles!! I have a bubble counter and glass defuser on the way.

Attachments

• image-87247200.jpg
    image-87247200.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 64
greetings.

while i have no experience with co2 ladders i definitely have to say that the ladder above this post looks broken and sould be returned to the store imo, especially if you tried all those things. even if the bubbles don't diminish in size, they sould simply flow out of the ladder at the end of it by design.

sincerely,
nereksnad

nereksnad said:
greetings.

while i have no experience with co2 ladders i definitely have to say that the ladder above this post looks broken and sould be returned to the store imo, especially if you tried all those things. even if the bubbles don't diminish in size, they sould simply flow out of the ladder at the end of it by design.

sincerely,
nereksnad

I've been sizing it up and put some logic to it.
I've figured out that it couldn't be a mechanical failure, as this ladder is relatively new and worked fine 2 days ago. I'm also sure that this plastic couldn't degrade that fast.
I watched the bubbles quite a bit the first couple of days. I noticed that the bubbles snow down immensely as the gas exchange happens. CO2 is lighter than O2, thus making this apparatus work in the first place. My logic is; the carbon is mixing with the water and the oxygen is staying behind and staying on the ladder. I noticed that the oxygen bubbles that were on the ladder when I first put it into the aquarium didn't move up the ladder. They stayed stationary. So my assumption is that the mixture in my canister isn't making a ton of Carbon. I'm sure there are other gas' being made in this container, but who knows what they might be. It's essentially an alcohol still.

Back
Top Bottom