Co2 or none?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am *trying* to get my mom to let me set my 5gall back up... as planted (wouldnt go any other way)...and IF I can, I am just wondering if I should get a small Co2 unit (like those ones you can get at petsmart or somthing) or just use ferts? It will have at least 4wpg on it (20 watt 6,500k bulb)?
Thanks

That really isn't that much light over that size tank (small aquairums need more light to hit the thresholds) so I'd probably just stick to ferts (maybe some Flourish Excel for carbon). I think you'll be happier with the results that way.

What if I decided I could add 20 more watts? (found another fixture) for 2x 20watt 6,500k bulbs?
If I do still go with ferts (like fourish excel) I will need help with a dosing schedule?
thanks

I am interested to know as well. I've got some Seachem Flourish, and some Seachem Excel which I dose whenever I remember!

I've also only got 2.5wpg in a 20L.

At 40 watts you're getting more to the level where you're more likely to have issues if you don't supplement carbon/CO2. I'd still probably go with Flourish Excel though. It's not going to be very expensive on that size tank.

DIY CO2 (same as those expensive pretty packages you were talking about) is by nature variable and more likely to cause BBA. While DIY CO2 was a worthwhile experiment and introduction to CO2 it is such a pain to maintain. I think that in most situations it's better to use Flourish Excel or go with Pressurized CO2. By all means give DIY CO2 a try if you really want to, but you'll probably tire of it after awhile and be looking at one of the other two solutions.

I've got 26W on a 2.5 gallon. I ran it at first with pressurized CO2, and now I'm running it without CO2 or excel. I've seen very little difference.

well I had DIY Co2 on it at once...and hated it... I think I will just go with some flourish excel... the only thing is is that my LFS nor petsmart carry it so I have to get it online and pay shipping...blahh LOL
thanks again

Back
Top Bottom