Co2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
How does the diy 2 liter co2 injection method compare to the liquid co2?

Injecting CO2 in Medium-High light tanks is much more cost effective than using liquid carbon.

If I had 4 t5 no lights In a 55 gallon what category of light would that put me in

I'd get a pressurized co2 system for a 55g with a 4 bulb t5ho.

But you can use a liquid carbon, but at a tank that large, it will get costly. You can try generic Excel, which is Glutaraldehyde. Its much cheaper and can be diluted to excel strength.

Edit: oops, you said "NO" t5. You can go liquid carbon. Glut will save you money instead of buying a lot if Excel.

I bought some off doctor foster and smith and daily doses would be around 15 dollars every 3 months. I'm getting a bit of an algae problem since I upgraded the lights to the 4 t5 NO bulbs and the DIY co2 is it possible that not enough co2 in the water is causing this problem with the algae?

Could be. Co2 definitely helps when planted. What type of plants do you have, fertilizer regimen, and photoperiod?

Java fern, pellia,banana plants,and dwarf grass. Period of light is 8 hours on 16 hours off

Try cutting back on the photoperiod a bit. Adding co2. And/or adding some fast growing stem plants to help outcompete and starve the algae. What type of algae? You can spot treat with excel or hydrogen peroxide too.

Wow looks like green water. You have an algae bloom. Definitely too much light. You can do the black out method or buy a uv sterilizer.

Are your lights on a timer? I got my bloom when i use to run my lights manually and i would forget to turn them off.

I had a similar problem, tried the blackout method and cut the lights back to 6 hours and it still came back even though I was doing crazy water changes. I broke down and bought a uv filter, which was actually not that expensive. The uv took out the algae in a few days and the water was more crystal clear than I have ever had in any tank. It is a 5w sun sun that cost $30. Well worth the price, the fish love it, and I now also use it as a diffuser for my co2 with its air intake valve.

I'm just gonna try cutting the light time and work from there and yea the lights are on a timer

Back
Top Bottom