CO2 Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Short-N-Portly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello gentlemen,

I have a planted nano(4gl) tank that's doing very well so far, I've been dosing with Flourish Excel once a week and the water parameters are perfect whenever I check them so I usually just do small water changes 1-1 1/2 gls every 2 weeks.
I've been looking into the possibility of adding CO2 but not thrilled about buying a system because keeping this low buck is important and not willing to make the investment.(I'm a cheap old bastard)LOL

Here's the question, has anyone tried, or use these CO2 tablets, are they worth messing with and actually help the plants?

36pcs Dioxide CO2 Aquarium Carbon Fish Tablet Diffuser for Plants Tank | eBay

Sorry it's a little messy, I accidently pulled up a couple plants removing some snails.

The cheap way to add liquid carbon is to buy a gallon of Metricide 14 and throw away activator. AKA Glut.
You can google it, lots of folks use it.

Or you can use DIY CO2 in soda bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a lot of fish for 4g of water. If you end up having issues, you may want to switch to CPDs, or Micro Rasboras. They stay smaller than Neons.

That's a lot of fish for 4g of water. If you end up having issues, you may want to switch to CPDs, or Micro Rasboras. They stay smaller than Neons.

Thx for your CO2 suggestions.
I never expected to still have all the neons I originally bought, so far it's been 7 weeks and the parameters are always perfect when checked. If and when it gets to be a problem when they get bigger I'll just chuck some in my guppy tank.
What are CPDs ?

I never expected to still have all the neons I originally bought, so far it's been 7 weeks and the parameters are always perfect when checked. If and when it gets to be a problem when they get bigger I'll just chuck some in my guppy tank.

What are CPDs ?

CPDs = Celestial Pearl Danios. I call them my tiny Trout.
a0cebc381375707ff80db43c111b7821.jpg

What are CPDs ?

Celestial Pearl Danios. A colorful little fish that are great for nano tanks. They can be expensive at times though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sometimes they may be labeled as Galaxy Rasbora, as they technically aren't a danio, but a rasbora. My LFS got very confused when I asked them about the CPD in their tank (very bland looking from shipping stress), until I said galaxy rasbora. You may have come across them before, but not noticed. They're some of my favorites!

This is all the auction pages say about the tablets.
Did a quick Google search for CO2 tabs but didn't come up with much, was pretty much what has already been said here, just suggestions for other avenues to introduce CO2 into the tank.

Features:This product adopts the latest formula, no poison, no pollution, no suspension agents, tablets slowly toward the water releasing carbon dioxide, provide the right amount of carbon dioxide to aquatic plants, absolutely does not affect the fish growth.

Method of use:

Different parts in the tank. (the best use of the proposed methods is the CO2 into the filter used together)

Usage: every 40 liters of water into the 2 slices, add 2 times a week.

Brand:ISTA
Package Include:1 bottle CO2 tablet (100pcs inside)

Features:
Easy and convenient way to provide Co2 for your aquarium plants to thrive.
By gradually dissolving in the water to release Co2 into the aquarium water.
Provide same function and effect to bottled gas Co2
Simply drop the Co2 tablet into the aquarium water. It takes about 2 hours for the Co2 tablet to dissolve completely.

I guess it must be something that reacts to produce CO2 directly. I remember this product coming up a fair while ago but nobody was too excited about it. I'm assuming it will be hard to find ingredients list (although I thought somebody did) as might be able to just buy from a chemistry shop I guess. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom