Co2 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do u know when to start using co2 also where is the best place to place the co2 in the tank and will a bubble wand that is turned way down mess things up with co2

Typically you start dosing CO2 around 2.5wpg. Anything higher and you will have algae issues, almost guaranteed.

What type of light do you have and what size tank? What plants are you trying to grow?

You will not want to run an air pump while dosing CO2. That will off gas the CO2 by agitating the surface. HOB filters cause significant surface agitation which can off gas all the CO2 you dose. I keep my tanks topped off that have CO2.

meegosh said:
Typically you start dosing CO2 around 2.5wpg. Anything higher and you will have algae issues, almost guaranteed.

What type of light do you have and what size tank? What plants are you trying to grow?

You will not want to run an air pump while dosing CO2. That will off gas the CO2 by agitating the surface. HOB filters cause significant surface agitation which can off gas all the CO2 you dose. I keep my tanks topped off that have CO2.

I have 2 tanks I want to do my first is my 55g its at 2 watts a gallon and has java moss, crypto. Spiralis, purple cabomba, and a red melon....the other tank is a 35g and the wattage is just over 2 watts a gallon the only plants so far is an onion plant, red melon, java moss but I want to plant this tank very heavy...i have no surface agitation is why I use a bubble wand so is that ok to use a bubble wand then

You do not need CO2, it will help growth. The agitation from the bubble wand will cause the CO2 to gas off. In order for CO2 to work it needs to be present in stable levels above 20ppm being the best.

I just dont see a real big growth in my tank will it hurt to do co2...and u dont think it matters but I'm wanting to do a diy co2 system

I think doing DIY in a 55 is a waste of time even the 35 is pushing it. Unstable levels of CO2 can be worse than none with your lighting you are not going to see explosive growth.

rich311k said:
I think doing DIY in a 55 is a waste of time even the 35 is pushing it. Unstable levels of CO2 can be worse than none with your lighting you are not going to see explosive growth.

What do I need to do I if co2 won't help

I would not recommend DIY CO2 for tanks larger than 30g. Even 30g is pushing it.

At 2wpg I don't think you even need to add CO2. Rich is right, unstable levels are worse than no CO2 at all, IME.

Now even though my tank is very heavily planted u wouldnt do it whats the reason(just asking I'm new to heavy planting and just trying to learn)...

Typically at 2.5wpg or so the algae starts to out-compete the plants for nutrients. The co2 addition makes the plants photosynthesize faster, and out competes the algae for nutrients.

Any variance in co2 or nutrients can cause the algae to take off. That is why many use ph monitors and auto dosers.

What I thought of doing Is putting a pressure sensor in my DIY tank.. It needs to be rigid though to not allow for expansion. Only do it if you know how to use and program micro controllers else it's gonna be a bank breaker!

Back
Top Bottom