CO2 Reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone use an inline reactor for CO2?

I am using a DIY method right now but I want to take the equipment as it is taking up valauable plant/fish space :)

I am looking at the Auqua Medic 1000 here is a link:
Aqua Medic Co2 Reactor 1000 at Big Al's Online=

Has anyone ever used this or one like it?

And would you use a powerhead or the output from your canister to power it?

They work just fine.

You can build one yourself for under $20

They go inline to your canister filter, on the outflow.

Thanks! That looks really simple :) And would certainly be a significant savings....if you can find the clear tube without buying a full 10 ft section of pipe.
Maybe a gravel tube? :) Excellent thread though. Thanks!

I used to use some DIY Inline CO2 Reactors that I build on all three of my aquariums (2.5 gallon - 10 gallon). Mine were plain old PVC, but they still worked great. I've since switched to a different method of diffusion. Depending on the size aquarium you're dealing with I'd be happy to sell off one of my old ones. Heck I even custom built a few larger ones for other people on the forum. If you're handy, they're pretty easy to build.

What's the new method?

I switched to a variation of the mist method. I built custom spray bars for each aquarium, which are powered by the Via Aqua pumps I used with the Inline CO2 Reactors before switching. One of the pieces that comes with the pump allows me to inject the CO2 right after the waterpump. When the CO2 exits the spraybar, it comes out in a fine mist.

I've found that on my small aquariums this method works just as well and since there's less tubing, it's much easier to clean when necessary. I have no idea if it would work as well on larger aquariums where you'd probably be injecting a higher volume of CO2.

FWIW, I use Mist method on all 3 of my CO2 injected aquariums. The largest is my 72 gallon. I just let CO2 bubble into the inlet of a powerhead on 2 of them, and into the filter inlet on the third.
I have to agree with Joy, that mist method gives superior results....however... there are little bubbles of CO2 blowing all around the tank. This may be a cosmetic issue for some folks.

Happily my husband has decided to build it for me. :) He likes working with all this stuff and we already have a lot of the materials laying around from a previous building project ;)
Thanks for the responses and links to the threads, they were quite helpful!

Back
Top Bottom