CO2 Reactor advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BondStreet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi There...

Looking to purchase my last piece of planted tank "necessities" - a CO2 Reactor. However, I was wondering if someone can recommend a relatively inexpensive "tank-less" reactor. I was at the LFS recently and they had a "Carbo-something" reactor that generates CO2 by electrolysis. I thought that was an awesome device, however, I wanted to do some investigating before purchasing it. They have it in their planted tank. It runs about $250. If that is the average price for something like that, I will buy it, however, is there any better device/brand? ANY advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. This device they are selling has a regulator on it which I hear is a great thing. I just want to see if there are alternatives to having a CO2 reactor that requires a bulky external CO2 gas tank.

Thanks for any help!
Bondstreet

Well, what are the tank specs, sounds big. And I thought you had to have a regulator on a big tank, o well. If it is real small, why not just do a DIY CO2, on my 5.5 I am getting a small bubble every second, but three days ago it was one every fifteen, i dont have a diffuser, but if you had one I think it could be fine on about a 30 gallon tank.

We are using the Carbo plus unit. I agree a bit pricey but it does work well. set it and forget it. I cant talk for the pressurized units never used one. Did use the DIY co2 that worked well also. Carbo is in a 55 gal. DIY I had in a 29 gal.

DIY= Do It Yourself. If I reacall correctly, you have a 75, right? DIY is not enough co2 for that, it's messy, and you have to change it every 2-3 weeks. Basically it's brewing yeast and sugar, makes co2.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/ link to how to do DIY.

http://www.wcf.com/co2iron/

This is where it got my high pressure co2, not the best price, but not the worst either, and all comes at once, except the tank, you get that from a welding supply shop or beverage supply shop.

Inso far as reactors go, I don't have one. :oops: I just have the ehiem diffuser that came wit the system. it makes very fine bubbles, my plants grow like mad, but the don't "pearl" as much as others i've seen. pearling is where the plants put off pure oxygen bubbles. I haven't seen a reactor i like yet, it either involves a big bulky thing inside the tank, hate that idea, or an external reactor with boatloads of plumbing, which I'm also not interested in. I've had enogh tank disaters involving plumbing in my life, not going down that road again.

Also, I had mucho problemos getting my system set up with out leaks. Took me three tanks before i got rid of all the leaks. Once i did tough, it's been problem free for 3 months now, expect the tank to last at least 9 months.

The Carbo-plus you spoke of works really well from what I've heard, but will cost you Waaaay more in the long run (replacement blocks and such), and I'm not sure what tank size it can handle.

I don't know how much help this has been, but I gave it my best shot.

Hi again...
was just on Big Al's website and the Carbo-plus unit is now at $329! Anyone know what happened?
Bondstreet

still 119.99, just checked. make sure you're on the us site and not the canadian site.

Back
Top Bottom