Co2 reactor problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omgfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I just installed the AquaMedic Reactor 1000 inline with my Rena XP3 filter. I have set my regulator at about 25psi and dialed the needle valve into about 5-10 bubbles per second. I can't see any co2 bubbles in the reactor and there are just short bursts of co2 that come out of my spraybar. It is noisy like there is air in the line. I also put an Azoo check valve between the bubble counter and the reactor. Something is wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?

Your bubble count sounds rather high. I'd guess that you'd want to start it at say 1-2 bps.

Turns out I'm just stupid. I installed the reactor backwards. When you install it correctly it works very nicely! Who woulda thought? I also kicked it down to 2 bps. I'll play with it more tomorrow. :)

I've read elsewhere that the Renas are fairly noisy compared to other brands when injecting Co2 into them. I've never tried it with mine, so I cant confirm it at all.

Its actually as quiet as it was before. Doesn't seem like the flow has decreased too much either. I'm happy with it so far.

LOL... Glad to hear you figured it out. I have the same setup and it works great, though my flow did go down noticeably... It is a nice reactor and by XP3's are silent. If you have air in there, you can bleed it out with the little valve at the top.

Also, if you are using a pH meter to control the CO2, blasting it in is fine, though you may want to take it slow for the initial adjustment, then turn it up afterward. If you are not using a pH meter, you 5-10 bps is quite high as Purrbox mentioned.

Yikes, I tested my pH and kH today and got 6.4 and 4 respectively. This gives me 47.8 ppm for co2. Is this possible. The bubble counter has been at 2 bps for the last 2 days. I used the API drop tests for both. Is it possible that my co2 could be this high? I was thinking I would have to crank my co2 up and not down. Any thoughts? TIA

That's just about exactly where I keep mine. Are you seeing pearling? Are your fish gasping? Hobby-grade tests are not the best, but those measures are not that far out there...

You should really look into getting a drop checker w/ Reference solution to keep an eye on your CO2.

I find it hard to believe that my co2 is that high. I run a powerhead that gives me a little surface aggitation. I was assuming I would lose a little co2 because of that. My plants are not pearling, and my fish seem to be acting normal. I'm only running 1.73 wpg for now, and started EI dosing yesterday. I planning on doubling my light (as i'm only using half of it now) sometime this week.

Your instinct might be right. The only way to be sure would be to either use those same tests on known samples of pH and kH to see if they are working correctly, or cross check with a different test kit.

It's entirely possible to have that much CO2 in a tank. I managed over 100ppm in a nano using DIY CO2. (Not a good thing for fish BTW when it gets over 100ppm)

You may not have enough plants in the tank to saturate the water with O2 and get pearling. Another possibility is a shortage of one or more ferts, especially since you only just started dosing.

Did you ever do a test of your water after letting it sit in a cup for 24hrs? This helps to ensure that you don't have anything throwing off the pH/KH relationship.

I've tested the pH and kH in the tank before i started co2, but never after letting it sit in a cup for 24 hours. My pH was 7.0 and kH was 4 before co2.

If the tank water was in the tank for at least 24hrs before testing without any CO2 injection, then you can't use the CO2 chart with your water. It should always test out to 3ppm of CO2 if there isn't any CO2 being injected. When it doesn't, it indicates the presense of something in the water throwing off the relationship between pH and KH.

In your situation you're going to want to shoot for a drop of 1 in your pH. Since your original pH was 7.0, you'll want to shoot for 6.0. A CO2 drop checker would be especially helpful with your water.

Anyone know where to buy a good drop checker in the United States? The only ones I can find are sold out or shipped from overseas. Thanks. :)

You can get the Red Sea CO2 Indicators for $7.99 from BigAlsOnline or $9.99 from ThatPetPlace. They may not be as attractive as the glass ones, but they work well.

After some more searching on eBay, I found the Red Sea Co2 indicator. Hopefully it will be here by the end of the week. Thanks!

I have 2 xP3's on my 125g with NO noise. The fan in one of my light fixtures creates and absolute din relative to the xP's. To avoid the cavitation issues in a cannister filter, put the diffuser in the return line. Ergo, no CO2 in the canister and no cavitation.
Vic

the overseas drop checkers from aquatic magic are terrific, arrive reasonably fast and work well.. I get kh5 solution from Bill on barr's website.

Back
Top Bottom