CO2 Recipes -- Baking/Champagne Yeast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neurotik

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've just setup a DIY CO2 system on my tank last week, and I've been reading about different CO2 recipes that people use and I've noticed some people have suggested using champagne yeast rather than normal baking yeast because it will give you a longer lasting supply of CO2 and will not fluctuate and spike as much as baking yeast does.

I Just wanted to verify how true this actually was, and whether or not it would be worth me buying some champagne yeast for my future batches of CO2. I found a place that I can buy packs of Pasteur Champagne from Red Star for $0.95 each, but I wanted to ask you guys what your thoughts were before I placed an order for any of it.

Thanks!

I never had a problem with regular old yeast from the supermarket lasting three weeks... I credit the sterilization of all my equipment with my success, though. I wrote about it a little in Da Squids thread in this section...

I also am running about 3 weeks with regular yeast and sugar water. I use the florish excel as well to fertilize. Not sure about the champagne yeast though I haven't heard.

Sounds good. I'll just stick to regular old baking yeast for now and I'll see how long this first batch of mine lasts and go from there. If anyone else out there has actually tried the champagne yeast and could give a little cross-comparison of the two that would be cool though, thanks again :)

I read about using it but havent experimented yet. I might look into it down the road...ever heard of the jello method too?

Yeah, I read a bit about using jello mix too instead of sugar or something like that. It would be cool to have a post reviewing all three methods and see what type of results each one produces.

Im trying the jello method with my next batch of C02 so ill give you a review. And if I can find someone around here that sells champagen yeast then ill try it too

Awesome, I'll definitely be looking forward to reading your review. If you can't find champagne yeast locally, you can do a simple Google search for it and it's pretty cheap to order online, usually a little less than a dollar per packet, all you'd really get screwed on would be like $6-7 for shipping.

I used to use Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast. It produced CO2 very reliably for 3-4 weeks. 95 cents a pack is a very good price. I used to pay $1.29. I used 1/8 teaspoon at a time and sealed up the packet well, so one packet did last a long time. It says that the temperature range for this yeast is 45-95 degrees but don't store it in the refrigerator. I did once and the yeast died off.

If you can get wine/champagne yeast for only 95 cents a packet, I would give it a try. I did think it worked much better and more reliably for our purposes than bread yeast.

Back
Top Bottom