Co2 regulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can only seem to get 20 psi, but everything I've read says you should be around 35 psi, give or take. If I turn the needle valve counterclockwise to open it, the psi drops. Obviously this is my first go-around with co2 lol. What am I doing wrong? I'm using my diffuser as my bubble counter and I'm at 1-1.5 bubbles per second which is what I want. Just concerned that my psi isn't where I've read that it should be. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! 20170913_114715.jpg

Not sure. I read some reviews and a few mentioned the non-adjustable working pressure. One in particular stated that the WP was fixed at 22 psi. I did not read any resolutions to this issue.
Is the regulator past the return phase? If not, and if you want to stay budget friendly, the AquaTek Premium Regulator retails for about $90. I have been using one for the last 3+ years with no issues. Okay, a finicky needle valve but that is about it.

I've got the same regulator on my 60g, it's non adjustable unless you replace the front Spring. I got around the working pressure issue by using a reactor [emoji106]

Not sure. I read some reviews and a few mentioned the non-adjustable working pressure. One in particular stated that the WP was fixed at 22 psi. I did not read any resolutions to this issue.
Is the regulator past the return phase? If not, and if you want to stay budget friendly, the AquaTek Premium Regulator retails for about $90. I have been using one for the last 3+ years with no issues. Okay, a finicky needle valve but that is about it.

I haven't seen the WP go about 22 psi at all. Usually 18-20 psi. I cannot find any resolutions either. Yes, the regulator is past the return phase. I bought it January 2016 and just now finally set the darn thing up.

I've got the same regulator on my 60g, it's non adjustable unless you replace the front Spring. I got around the working pressure issue by using a reactor [emoji106]

So if I use a reactor instead, the low WP isn't an issue? What reactor are you using? I'll look into the internal reactors and brush up on my knowledge of them. I've never used one.

Reactors allow you to inject CO2 as whole bubbles so there is no back pressure from diffusers/atomizers. The bubbles enter a chamber and travel upward against the flow of water traveling downward. Ideally the bubbles in the chamber will be suspended until they finally dissolve.
Many of the reactors I've seen are DYI out of simple items and are based off the Cerges or Rex-Grigg designs. You would need a pump or canister filter to power these.
Depending on the size, some can be used internally.

Reactors allow you to inject CO2 as whole bubbles so there is no back pressure from diffusers/atomizers. The bubbles enter a chamber and travel upward against the flow of water traveling downward. Ideally the bubbles in the chamber will be suspended until they finally dissolve.
Many of the reactors I've seen are DYI out of simple items and are based off the Cerges or Rex-Grigg designs. You would need a pump or canister filter to power these.
Depending on the size, some can be used internally.

I couldn't find much on internal reactors. The cheap diffuser i have now is junk. I'll just upgrade that one. I have an HOB filter anyway.

Oh, when I was using DIY CO2 I directed the bubbles into the filter intake. Periodically you would hear a whoosh and churn of the bubbles being chopped up by the impeller. I had an AquaClear 50 stuffed with polyfil with the hopes that the microbubbles would get trapped in the fibers, thus prolonging contact time. For DIY I would say it worked well. But then I bumped up my lighting (Finnex FugeRay to a Planted+) and needed more CO2 so that is when I started using pressurized CO2.

Funny you mention that. I'm using an AC50 right now for this tank which is a 20 High. As soon as I have extra money for a light for my 40b, the CO2 is going on that tank. And I'm considering the Planted+.

I do not want to switch to a canister filter. 1 being money and 2 being that I'm inexperienced with them. Granted I'm inexperienced with CO2 and here I am learning haha.

I'd probably end up buying a much better regulator before switching to a canister filter. So I may be stuck with my HOB and a diffuser for awhile.

Funny you mention that. I'm using an AC50 right now for this tank which is a 20 High. As soon as I have extra money for a light for my 40b, the CO2 is going on that tank. And I'm considering the Planted+.

I do not want to switch to a canister filter. 1 being money and 2 being that I'm inexperienced with them. Granted I'm inexperienced with CO2 and here I am learning haha.

I'd probably end up buying a much better regulator before switching to a canister filter. So I may be stuck with my HOB and a diffuser for awhile.

I'd imagine a bubble ladder would be your best bet if your running a HOB. Or u can make a DIY internal reactor using a cut in half Coke bottle but it will look pretty ugly. Bubble ladders can be hidden behind your background plants or hardscape [emoji106]

Thank you Bert! I definitely don't want to go the half coke bottle route just for aesthetic purposes.

Thank you Bert! I definitely don't want to go the half coke bottle route just for aesthetic purposes.

Agreed very ugly and bulky. If you google co2 bubble ladder in sure you'd be able to find one pretty easy [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom