CO2 Regulators from GLA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im probably going to pull the trigger and order up a CO2 regulator from GLA this weekend (getting a bonus from work).
There is a "Dual Stage" version that costs $150 more than its single stage counterpart and it offers this description:

"Dual stage regulator reduces source pressure in two steps to eliminate fluctuation in working pressure, as pressure drops in CO2 cylinder".

Now, I've got a paintball CO2 set up on another tank and Im constantly having to fiddle with it to keep the bubble count where I want it. It sounds like the like the Dual Stage would eliminate or reduce the amount of fiddling. Am I understanding this correctly? If I could get a "set it and forget it" CO2 set up, that would be awesome and worth the extra money in the long run (to me).
Anybody around with some knowledge?

My lfs was telling me about (and forgive me because I'm new to co2) about a Digital monitor which is fully programmable that kicks the co2 on and off based on the kh and ph you've programmed it to do so at. Not positive on the name of the monitor, hope this is what you were looking for (other than not knowing the name).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Coyne,
I bought the GLA Ultimate system this last Dec. 20th. ($455) I have it on my 29g and use their 55mm Atomic diffusor. I got their 5# tank. I had zero problems setting it up, no leaks. I have it on the timer that came with it set to come on 2 hrs before the lights and off 1 hr before the lights go off. I have it set at 32 lbs working pressure. I set it at 3 bps and it has maintained that count without me fiddling with it for months now. I had the tank filled at a fire extinquisher service company on Dec 21st for $14. It is still running on that first fill up and pressure is still where it was when full.
The GLA system IS expensive but the quality is impeccable. I am really glad I splurged and got the GLA. I feel all my fish and plants are safe with this system. OS.

Yes GLA definitely makes good regulators. But get the dual stage. Getting a regulator with a dual stage also prevents EOTD (end of tank dump).

No sales pitch needed guys. :lol:
Im already planning on a GLA, its just a matter of which one. Ive already got the 5lb tank and inline diffuser, so I just need the regulator.
Right now Im just trying to decide between
GLA Pro-1-SS CO2 Regulator | Green Leaf Aquariums
and
GLA Pro-1-SS CO2 Regulator Two Stage | Green Leaf Aquariums

Brian - At first I also thought the Dual Stage was for preventing EOTD, but all of their regulators, even the cheapest single stage, state "No end-of-tank dumps" in the product description... so Im still 100% sure what the Dual Stage does for me for the extra $150.

It doesn't look like they sell the "Ultimate" system that OS purchased anymore, so I cant see if it came with a dual stage or not. Im guessing that if its truly ultimate, that it probably does.

Maybe a friendly phone call to GLA customer service is in order.

Thanks for insight OS and Brian :thanks:

After going to APE and also doing some digging at TPT, it seems that the dual stage does do what I was hoping it would. It keeps the working pressure constant as the tank pressure drops.
So with that said, I finally took the leap and placed my order.
GLA Pro-2-SS CO2 Regulator Two Stage | Green Leaf Aquariums

Right now Ive got that combination of excitement for getting a new toy and anxiety from having dropped a little over $600 on a new toy(s). :lol: :hide:

I also picked up this little gem (along with some other odds and ends).
CAL AQUA Preal Drop Checker | Green Leaf Aquariums

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407516591.695371.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407516612.146726.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407516645.472022.jpg

Edit: not sure what kind of regulator this is (scavenged off a 180g).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Holy cow... those are some nice but pricey goods!

Ive only been active in this hobby for about 18 months, but Ive learned that sometimes its better to spend the money to get something quality. I have a closet full of stuff that I "saved money on". Either they dont work well or dont work at all, so the money I thought I was saving turned into money wasted because I A) No longer use the items, and B) Had to spend more money to get something else instead.
So, for super important stuff (lighting, CO2 set up, etc) I dont mind spending the money as long as Im going to something that I (hopefully) wont be disappointed in. Unfortunately, it means I have to sock away money a little at a time to save up for what I want. Ive been slowly getting the stuff I want for this tank build over the past 8-ish months. :whistle:
I think the last major expense I have is substrate. :dance:
Maybe I'll actually have this aquarium up and running by the end of the year. :lol:

Sounds good. I'm the same way with lighting at least. Some question the practicality of LEDs. To me, they're worth the investment over older tech.

I forget, what tank is this all going on?

Its a 45 gallon. I purchased it on impulse in March of last year because I was feeling nostalgic about the 10 gallon aquarium I had as child. But, within the first year I had to set up two 20 longs and re-homed the fish that were in there so that I could tear it down. It looked awful... Like I had purchased a bunch of random stuff from the PetSmart decoration aisle and tossed it in, because that is pretty much what I did. :facepalm:

If I could to do it over again I would choose a different size with a better foot print. :ermm: The first of many mistakes, I suppose. I do, however, think it will work out well for what I currently have in mind. Im more patient now and trying to put more thought into it.

Dual stage is often said to be necessary for preventing end of tank dump. However the GLA single stage regulators explicitly state "no end of tank dump" even though its not dual stage.

Oops, I posted this before reading post #6.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So that's a dual output solenoid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its one solenoid and two manifolds that can be adjusted independently (flow wise). But they're either both on or both off.

Edit: At least I THINK they can be adjusted independently. Not the end of the world if they cant.

Yah, I'm sorry, I meant that.. i just ordered a splitter with dual needle valves, your integrated bubble counter caught my eye! Looks to be a very well made piece of aquaria gadgetry and I wish many many happy bubbles:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. :)
Just have to figure out my substrate now. I was leaning strongly towards the ADA Amazonia, but I may look around a bit more and see what else is out there.

Back
Top Bottom