CO2 supplements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredenj

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone know how well CO2 booster supplements work? Are they any good? Are they not as good as having a diffuser?

They work very well and are as good as a diffuser.

I opted for a sugar-yeast diffuser system instead of supplements because it is a more affordable setup and I like to play chemist. One 10 lb bag of sugar ($4.00) supplies my aquarium with CO2 for 6 months. If I used Flourish Excel I would spend ($8.00) every 4 months.

Liquid carbons work very well when dosed at the levels plants need. I normally recommend 1ml liquid carbon for every 2 gallons of tank water, even more for high light tanks. If you have delicate shrimp you have to be careful when using liquid carbons as it doesn't sit well and can kill some delicate species. Also remember some plants such as Anacharis and Val's can be very sensitive to liquid carbons and can melt.

You can buy Metricide 14 Day Solution, a gallon for around $20. It is twice the strength of Excel and very economical to use.

Back
Top Bottom