co2 system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use the Red Sea inline needle valve and it's extremely easy to use and dials in any flow rate I need effortlessly. I decided on it because my regulator is hard to get to (behind my filter in a small cabinet stand). It goes inline and suction cups onto the outside of the tank glass right next to my bubble counter. Some people just open up the needle valve that comes with their regulator and fine tune the rate with an inline one. No fiddling around with a touchy needle valve from inside the stand.

If you're concerned with an "end of tank dump" just get the Milwaukee pH controller. If you get a co2 dump the controller will shut off the co2 supply as soon as the pH drops to your set level. Disaster averted. (^_^)

IMO, the pH probes are pretty pointless. If you have DW in your tank, your pH drop a little bit every day, making your CO2 levels lower and lower as the week goes on.

It's also throwing money at a problem that a $10 drop checker and patience will fix.

aqua_chem said:
IMO, the pH probes are pretty pointless. If you have DW in your tank, your pH drop a little bit every day, making your CO2 levels lower and lower as the week goes on.

It's also throwing money at a problem that a $10 drop checker and patience will fix.

Maybe with simple probes it's true but with controllers its not true in the least. I used mine for years in a tank with an enormous piece of driftwood and it never once had that effect even though I had tannins and used only RO water for the first 2 years (with Equilibrium). Adjusting your co2 level is only a matter of turning a dial on the controller. Besides, a drop checker can't do a thing about stopping an end of tank dump.

You really have to use one for a while to appreciate how beautifully they work in a planted tank. If somebody accidentally bumps the needle valve while grabbing something under the stand co2 levels can skyrocket and kill off the livestock. Not gonna happen with a pH controller. It'll gust shut it off when the pH drops. I'm not saying they're necessary. But they aren't worthless and cannot be replaced by a drop checker, which should be used with or without a controller. They each serve different needs. Besides, in a tank with expensive livestock they only need to stop one catastrophe to cover their cost.

An accidental bump isn't going to push your tank over the edge unless your co2 is too high to begin with. Fish aren't that sensitive. You should have to almost double your co2 levels to hurt your fish, triple if youre running at the recommended level of 30 ppm.

I'm not that saying that its useless, just that the money is better spent on other equipment and should be towards the bottom of your buy list unless

aqua_chem said:
An accidental bump isn't going to push your tank over the edge unless your co2 is too high to begin with. Fish aren't that sensitive. You should have to almost double your co2 levels to hurt your fish, triple if youre running at the recommended level of 30 ppm.

I'm not that saying that its useless, just that the money is better spent on other equipment and should be towards the bottom of your buy list unless

Definitely. That's why I keep repeating that it's only optional and most people don't bother with one.

I actually have a friend who had a Milwaukee reg with a shoddy oversensitive needle valve loose most of his livestock when a bottle of prime fell off oh the back of his hood struck his valve. He never got a regulator and nothing like that happened to him again. He just learned to keep stuff off of his hood. That was about 4 years before I switched from DIY to pressurized. Still, it's why I decided to get one. I know any number of unlikely things can happen and you can't enjoy the hobby if you worry about everything. Guess it just comes down to personal preference. Just like lighting, decorating, filtration, EI vs PPS-Pro vs shop ferts, all the way down to shrimp vs crawfish. Besides, it'd suck if everybody had the same setup. lol

It won't catastrophically fail and take out half your house or anything if that's what you mean. ;) I would not keep one closed up in a small cramped cabinet though. This is just me though, most people have no issues with them so long as it has some room, and a little air flow, so the heat does not build up too high. As stated, a Milwaukee regulator is a good entry level point, but if you take into consideration the inherent issues with a 110volt solenoid, and that fact that they only come with a six month warranty, then IMO it is better to spend a bit more on a better product. I own two AquariumPlants.com regulators and I would recommend them. They come with 12volt solenoids and one year warranties. The needle is a little touchy but once dialed in mine have stayed consistent.

Back from a week at the beach and back to research.
I found out that it would be a waste of money to buy my own 5lb tank, so that narrows my choices a little.
I do like the regulator you recommended from AquariumPlants.com, but I am concerned with the needle issue. Glad to know your experience has been good though.
The drop checker on this one is unlike any I've seen so far, do you like it?
Anyone else have this regulator?

I actually like the drop checker more than my glass one. It's easier to clean and fill, and with the white insert it's also easier to see the color of the fluid.
Why would a five pound cylinder not be cost effective for you? Mine lasts about six months (both on ~40 gallon tanks) between filling and it only costs me about twelve bucks to fill one. The larger the cylinder the less expensive it is to fill, the trick is to find a place that will fill your tank and not rely on a place that does swaps. I use Boggs Gasses.

I actually like the drop checker more than my glass one. It's easier to clean and fill, and with the white insert it's also easier to see the color of the fluid.
Why would a five pound cylinder not be cost effective for you? Mine lasts about six months (both on ~40 gallon tanks) between filling and it only costs me about twelve bucks to fill one. The larger the cylinder the less expensive it is to fill, the trick is to find a place that will fill your tank and not rely on a place that does swaps. I use Boggs Gasses.

oh, lol, I'm still trying to find a place here that will simply fill a tank rather than swap. I would rather have a nice looking 5lb tank, but I will buy a less expensive, used one if I have to swap. Sorry for the confusion.

Reygan2 said:
oh, lol, I'm still trying to find a place here that will simply fill a tank rather than swap. I would rather have a nice looking 5lb tank, but I will buy a less expensive, used one if I have to swap. Sorry for the confusion.

Ask the swap place where they get theirs filled. There is Airgas in my area but they only do swaps and since my cylinder is a nice new one I'm not going to swap it out for one of their crappy beat up painted ones. They get their cylinders filled at Boggs Gasses, which happens to be only a couple of miles away from me. They happily fill my cylinders while I wait, takes about ten minutes.

Ask the swap place where they get theirs filled. There is Airgas in my area but they only do swaps and since my cylinder is a nice new one I'm not going to swap it out for one of their crappy beat up painted ones. They get their cylinders filled at Boggs Gasses, which happens to be only a couple of miles away from me. They happily fill my cylinders while I wait, takes about ten minutes.

Exactly what I mean, I don't want to buy a nice new one if I have to swap. I'm looking for somewhere to fill up:). Thanks.

Reygan2 said:
Exactly what I mean, I don't want to buy a nice new one if I have to swap. I'm looking for somewhere to fill up:). Thanks.

Most of the places prefer to swap, but if you ask them they will re fill at the moment your tank, some will take their time but they will do it

Reygan2 said:

Call local welding shops and machine shops, ask them where they get their tanks filled.

Call local welding shops and machine shops, ask them where they get their tanks filled.

Whoa, I just called my nearest welding equip. place and they want $115 for a 5lb tank:eek:. However if I have my own, they only charge $14 for a swap. My options are very limited because of where I live. I'm going to keep looking though.

Reygan2 said:
Whoa, I just called my nearest welding equip. place and they want $115 for a 5lb tank:eek:. However if I have my own, they only charge $14 for a swap. My options are very limited because of where I live. I'm going to keep looking though.

That is outrageous! You can pick up a brand new five pound cylinder for about 56 bucks from AquariumPlants.com. You can get even cheaper on eBay I think.
Did you ask them who fills their cylinders?

Back
Top Bottom