CO2 System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amortiogar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, I'm fairly new to running tanks. I've had one set up for a few months now that has basic lighting from the tank kit that I got. I have a few Anubias and an Amazon Sword, but I'd like to get some more plants in there (such as some carpet plants). From what research I have done, I need a CO2 system for that to happen. I've looked at some DIY systems on youtube, but I've got some questions on diffusers.

For a 20Gal tank, what kind of diffuser should I have? I heard something about bubbles per second (?), what is that about?

Like I said, I'm new, so I would appreciate any help I could get haha. Thanks.

Two 2L bottles on a 20g might do it, although it's simple enough to add another one if necessary. You'll probably need somewhere between 1 bps and 2 bps (it's very much an unscientific system). There are plenty of guides out there if you need more specific advice.

As far as diffusers go, a cheapo ebay ceramic diffuser from Hong Kong will work fine.

What kind of light do you have? If you're going to be using CO2 and good light, I recommend looking into dry ferts as well.

Two 2L bottles on a 20g might do it, although it's simple enough to add another one if necessary. You'll probably need somewhere between 1 bps and 2 bps (it's very much an unscientific system). There are plenty of guides out there if you need more specific advice. As far as diffusers go, a cheapo ebay ceramic diffuser from Hong Kong will work fine. What kind of light do you have? If you're going to be using CO2 and good light, I recommend looking into dry ferts as well.

Thanks for the info. I don't even know where to start looking for lights haha, so I don't know what I would use. Where can I look into dry ferts? I'm sorry, I just have no clue where to start.

Thanks for the info. I don't even know where to start looking for lights haha, so I don't know what I would use. Where can I look into dry ferts? I'm sorry, I just have no clue where to start.

You can check out GLA.com for dry ferts. As far as lights go I'd check out Buildmyled.com they are becoming pretty popular for planted tanks and its the most efficient system.

I wouldn't go LED on this tank. It would be much cheaper to go T5HO.

True, but the only reason I say that is because they are dimmable. How many times do members post about algae issues and having too much light? Just a thought.

You can spend an extra $100 on a fixture with a dimmer, or $2 on window screening. Inelegant but effective.

Back
Top Bottom