co2 system help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Guys,
You helped me out with my newbie lighting questions and I thank you. The 4x65w Freshwater Coralite Aqualite is on its way from Big Als.

Now--What is the least expensive way to introduce CO2 into the tank? I see some natural fermentation kits that enable 3-4 weeks of CO2 for under $25! I have a 55gal tank.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks again!

With a 55 gallon tank it will be hard to maintain good CO2 levels with anything but a pressurized system. If you go the yeast route, you would be better of building your own, you will need at least 4 2-liters bottles and a very efficient reactor to diffuse the CO2.

I'm not sure that you will be able to provide enough co2 for that tank with that much light by using yeast. Even if you can, the long term cost of the yeast method will more than exceed the initial cost of a pressurized system.

Check out ebay for a regulator/bubble counter and find a tank locally. I bought my regulator for $80.00 from aquacave.com on ebay. A 5lb cylinder filled is under $100.00. It is a bit much up front but will save a lot of $$ in the long run.

I have a 55 and use 6 2 liters w/ 2 changed every week. It is a pain and in the long run more $ but the start up cost is so low!

My co2 is somewhat consistant (about 35) but it is a pain and isn't always so consistant (especially around water changes).

Unfortunately you'd need about nine of those kits to have a chance of getting your CO2 levels high enough. Obviously not very cost effective at that point. If you can afford it, go pressurized right away. Pressurized will be much easier to maintain and more cost effective in the long run. If not a DIY CO2 with five to six 2 Liter bottles should get you started out.

Guys,
Thanks for your quick replies! I get the idea--save my pennies -avoid a headache! Now all I have to do is sneak it in the house without the wife seeing! Think she'll notice the new Coralife 48" light? :) heh heh
Thanks again!
Cliff

well if you have a canopy on your tank then you can hide just about anything

Back
Top Bottom