CO2 Systems? Please help! Rookie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am starting my very first planted tank and I have everything but the plants. They arrive on Friday. Anyways, I ordered some fertilizer (not liquid) from aquariumplants.com (where I ordered the plants), but I hear that C02 is better than other ferts. Is this true? If I just use the fertilizer I ordered once a month rather than a C02 system would I still be good? Or should I use both? Or just C02? What's the benefit? What brand do you suggest? I have a 60 gallon soon to be filled with about 40 give or take 5 plants with Fluval Stratum substrate. I want an easy to use system, not DIY, and less than $200. I have a tight budget and already have expensed about $600 already in filters, plants, driftwood, rocks, and substrate. So should I get a system? If so, what brand, type, and how do I use it? I am a rookie at planted tanks. Also any tips for a rookie like me? I have a hight output T5HO light fixture with two 6700K 54 watt high output T5's in it for lighting. For filtration I have a 175 gallon canister by AquaTop (CF-500UV) with an installed UV sterilizer. I plan to stock this tank with angelfish once it's setup and cycled. Thanks for anything you can do to help!

Fertilizers are different from liquid carbon and CO2. Your plants need fertilizers. CO2 or liquid carbon (Excel) will aid the plants in growth/photosynthsis. They are two different elements that plants need. Use ferts as directed not once a month. Plants will need even more ferts once your using CO2. You need to use both.

Sorry I can't help with CO2 as I don't use it.

So, I would use the ferts as directed once I plant my plants, and then what? I get so confused as to this matter. You recommended something last time we spoke, but I forgot it...what should I use and how do I use it?

I have a 28 gal planted with a pressurized Co2 system. As far as brands, I think Aquatek is the best but not cheap Millwakee is a good alternative. Co2 is a photosynthesis booster for plants, fertilizers give the plants the vital micro and macro nutrients they need. You are going to have to have some sort co2, either pressurized or Seachems Flourish excel. I built mine for about $200, ebay is your friend. your going to need a Bottle(5lb recommended), regulator w/solenoid, bubble counter, one way check valve, and an atomizer or diffuser. There is pretty much no hassle once you get everything set up, just plug the solenoid into your timer and watch your plants grow. :D

Ok...I heard that if you keep fish with the plants then they will get all the c02 they need...is that true? If so would I still need a C02 system?

Ok I have decided to go with the Flourish Excel, but I am concerned about my corkscrew vals. Will it melt them? I have heard lots of people with that problem. Also is it safe for angelfish?

Excel is safe for fish, shrimp, and snails. I have corkscrew vals and use a high amount of glutaraldehyde, basically the same as Excel, and have never had issues with it melting my corkscrew vals.

Ok thanks I ordered a 500 ml bottle of it. How long should that last me? I believe on the instructions it says one capful every other day for 50 gals.

I think the combination of good lighting, ferts, substrate, and co2 makes the world of difference in getting a nice healthy looking planted tank. Rivercats does do wonders without using pressurized co2. However, I'm still a firm believer in it as i have seen the difference in my tanks with and without it. Not only does co2 help plants grow, it also reduces algae, especially when you have moderate to high lighting with long photo periods.

With that said, here's my CO2 system recommendations...

I'd get the full sized regulator and buy a 5lbs or 10lbs cylinder...

Milwaukee regulators are tried and true... I've only heard some negatives about their needle valves or something of the sort..

However, I like Aquatek, although it's a relatively new company.. but so far people reported nothing but good things about them.. I have their mini regulator for paintball and like it. I'm about to buy the one I'm recommending for a larger tank build I'm planning..

For the interest of saving money, but still getting a quality rig.. I would piece the stuff together. The Aquatek regulators are competitively priced.

Here's a shopping list (feel free to change up components):

-Aquatek Regulator HERE - $79.99
-comes with tubing and bubble counter w/ integrated check valve
-Fluval Diffuser (here) - $10
-U.P. Aqua Co2 Drop Checker (here) - $8.79
-4 dKH Reference Solution For Co2 Drop Checker pH HERE - $7.50
-5 LB CO2 Cylinder, Aluminum tank. Found one on Amazon with good reviews for $66.35 (here)

Grand total w/ 5lb co2 tank - Around $170

Note: these prices fluctuate daily almost... So my prices might be off since the last time i checked. Also, the Aquatek regulator is sold by Aquatek in both their Amazon and Ebay store, however, i find that they usually give you a better price with extra goodies if you buy it on Ebay.

Hope this helps :)

Good info from Brian. I just wanted to add that you should look around locally for a co2 tank also, it might be cheaper used, just make sure it's not expired. The other thing is that with my local airgas (filling station) they only do swapouts, they don't refill them on-site, so in my case I'd be giving away my shiny new co2 tank for one of theirs anyway.

Actually... I think for a 60g since you'll have more volume and your tank would be longer than what I have... I would consider swapping out the diffuser I recommended earlier to an inline diffuser. I haven't tried it personally, but I've read that they're pretty good and getting the co2 diffused better. Plus the co2 would be able to disperse throughout the tank better since it's being released in the outflow of your canister...

Amazon.com: U.P. Aqua Inline Co2 Atomizer System: Pet Supplies

Atomic Inline CO2 Diffuser 16/22mm | Green Leaf Aquariums

Here's a dude on Youtube using an inline diffuser.. what's neat is that there seems to be no waste in co2. In contrast, a ceramic disk diffuser, you'll see tiny bubbles flowing up, which a bunch make it to the surface. When those visible bubbles pop at the surface, that's an indication that some co2 is being lost. I mean, this method still works and I use it on two of my tanks.. but I have my eyes set on this inline method... seems pretty efficient.. which mean, you'll probably get to run your co2 system with less bubbles per second.. which ultimately means, less refills and longer lasting co2 between refills. :)
As requested: Atomic Inline CO2 diffuser in action - YouTube

Jeta is correct... Check local areas for co2 tanks. You might get a better deal. For example, on my 6g nano tank project, I just purchased the Aquatek mini regulator. I was going to buy 2 paintball co2 tanks for $17 each on Amazon. I called around locally just to see how much they would be to refill. I found a paintball store that sold the same co2 tanks for $25 each BUT with 5 free refills if I bought from them. Well at $5 a refill, I essentially got these tanks for FREE!!! :)

I know the 5lbs and 10lbs cylinders are on a grander scale compared to paintball, but who knows, you might find some interesting deals out there. FYI, the paintball stores can refill larger cylinders as well (not just paintball... from what I found out).

I want to second the suggestion to get the 5# co2 tank locally. Most places only swap out empty for full tanks. You'll save money and won't loose a nice tank. Their really is nothing better than a CO2 system.

The dry ferts you ordered are great. Most of us use them either with the EI system or the PPS-Pro system. I go PPS-Pro myself. You dose a little bit each day, about 1ml per 10 gallons. Google it and you'll get familiar with the 2 systems pretty fast. If you dose ferts and co2 you'll be amazed how nice your tank will look before long. Just don't forget to use a couple of timers. One for your lights and another for the co2.

Send us a pic after your plants come in with a list of what you picked out. We all love to see what kinds of plants other people keep. :)

Back
Top Bottom