CO2 Tank: Must be completely upright?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a question regarding the position of CO2 tanks. I know that they should be used upright, but is there any leeway with that rule? Unlike full size tanks (5# and greater), the regulator mounted on paintball tanks is best read from above versus from the side. In a not so tall tank cabinet this could present a problem. Would it be possible to mount the tank at 45-60 degrees for better viewing? Or would that an invitation for problems with the regulator?
I plan on building a new tank stand with ample vertical space so that the above situation does not occur, but I was curious about the angle thing. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I once wondered the same.. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=171244

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Odd, the link does not appear on the mobile app (using an iPhone 5) but it shows up on the web browser. Really did not get too much from the article aside from anti siphon tubing and how the PB tank is not running thru the same type of regulator. If there was a definitive answer to the acceptable angle of operation, then I missed it.
I'll just build a taller cabinet. Tall enough for 5# if I go that route.

I think it basically says with anything but the vertical orientation you'll run the risk of liquid co2 getting into the regulator?? Seems legit, when i used to play paintball each shot would yield a large burst of visible co2. Again.. not really applicable here.. id just worry about destroying o rings and such. I use an android and linked that from the Tapatalk app. This phone doesn't always play well with apples..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I really don't see why you couldn't put it at any angle you want. Gaz should act the same way however it exits the tank, and the regulator doesn't involve moving parts so it should make no difference. The only problemetic part would be the bubble counter, but it is not necessary, or you could put it somewhere else, it doesn't need to be directly at the exit of the regulator.

The bubble counter will be fine since there is about 12" of tubing between it and the regulator.
Since I can customize the shelving, I should have plenty of vertical space for the current setup and for and future 5# tank. Given that, I think I can hold off on setting it at 45 degrees.

Fresh,

Can you just tilt it to view your gauges? I'd be leery of storing it at an angle, but surely just a quick tilt and peek wouldn't do any damage. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I can certainly tilt it. I see no harm tilting it to check on things. The regular I is OFF about sixteen hours of the day so that should not be a problem. Besides, this is not something that I will be checking all of the time. Maybe once a week.

The big issue is if you tilt the tank enough that the next (valve) goes below the liquid level, the pressure regulator and metering valve will get a burst of liquid CO2. I'm not certain this would do permanant damage, but if the liquid makes it past the metering valve before it gets to expand it's going to sent a LOT of CO2 through your bubble counter and into the tank!!! I would't be surprised if it popped one of your airlines off when it happened...

Generally for planted tank use, we're using the CO2 so slowly that this shouldn't ever happen, as it would have ample time to expand in the regulator before causing serious issues. I could see it causing the regulator to go unstable and possible spike the pressures a little until the bottle is returned upright.

Back
Top Bottom