CO2 tank setup help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcham

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Should I use Teflon plumbing tape on the threads between cylinder (tank) and regulator? I read somewhere that shredded Teflon pieces was the number one reason for solenoids to get jammed stuck in the open position? Isn't Teflon necessary though?

When turning everything ON for the first time, I need to first open the regulator knob (counter clockwise) before opening the cylinder knob or else the pressure gauge may break. Is this correct? The needle valve knob is the third (and last) knob to be opened?

Is there a way to daisy chain 2 or more cylinders (tanks) to increase total CO2 capacity and reduce frequency of CO2 refills?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Matt, what regulator are you using? And for what size tank/cylinder?
I used Teflon tape, but used a tooth brush to remove any traces of existing tape that was on the tank already(the only tanks/refill I could find where I live was where you have to exchange an empty tank for a new one).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I got the GLA (Greenleaf aquariums) basic reg with bubble counter. Supposed to come in the mail tomorrow or next week.

I'm using a 10 lb steel tank. No point for me to get aluminum tank since my local gas company does mainly exchanges and not refills. They can refill my tank but it's a 40 minute wait and if the stickers and dates are invalid they can't use the tank so it's too much extra hassle for me.

What is the correct order of opening the knobs? Open reg knob first then open tank knob? Open needle valve knob last?

Here is the directions for my Milwaukee, I would guess they are similar, but double check your packaging. It looks like you read it correctly.
1-10 lb cylinder will last you a very long time, I have had my 5 lb since February and The pressure valve is still in the same place.
......………
Operating Instructions for the Milwaukee MA957

BEFORE YOU START! :

Secure cylinders so that they will not tip or fall.

Inspect the cylinder valves for damaged threads, dirt, oil, or grease. Remove dust and dirt with a clean cloth.

Crack open the cylinder valve for an instant to blow out any foreign matter in the throat of the cylinder.

ATTACHING THE REGULATOR:

Attach the regulator to the cylinder valve placing the supplied plastic o-ring (not shown) between the regulator and the tank. Tighten with a wrench. Omission of this o-ring will cause loss of gas!

Unscrew the large brass ring (G) from the Bubble Counter (H) and fill the bubble counter 1/2 full of fresh water. Be sure the needle valve (B) is closed before filling with water. Once filled, replace the brass o-ring (G).

Before opening the cylinder valve turn the regulator adjustment knob (E) counter clockwise until tension is no longer felt on the knob. Do not fully remove the regulator flow adjustment knob. IF THE CYLINDER VALVE IS OPENED WITH THE REGULATOR KNOB CLOSED, DAMAGE TO THE REGULATOR CAN RESULT!

VERY SLOWLY and CAREFULLY openthe cylinder valve COMPLETELY to seal the cylinder valve packing. The amount of gas in the cylinder can now be read on the High Pressure Gauge (D).

Plug the solenoid (C) into a suitable, grounded, AC Wall outlet, Hanna pH Mini Controller, or Milwaukee SMS122 pH Controller. The solenoid uses slightly more then 6 watts and it is normal for it to feel warm during operation.

Open the needle valve (B) by turning counter-clockwise.

Turn the adjustment knob (E) clockwise until you get a reading on the Low Pressure Gauge (F) of approximately 10lbs on the outside set of numbers (use the numbers on the top row). You should now see bubbles in the counter.

Unplug the Solenoid (C) from the wall or controller and unscrew the compression fitting and pass the air hose through the fitting and attach the tubing to the nipple (A). Be sure your tubing fits tightly on the nipple and that it is pressed all the way down. Slide the compression fitting onto the nipple and tighten.

Plug the Solenoid (C) back into the wall outlet or pH Controller unit and adjust the bubble count on your reactor using the needle valve (B). Fine tuning the count can be accomplished with either the needle valve (B) and by adjusting the regulator output pressure with adjustment knob (E) as discussed in the pevious step. The more you increase the pressure as indicated on the low pressure gauge (F) the more difficult it will be to fine tune your bubble count using needle valve (B). Therefore it is more desirable to keep the pressure indicated on the low pressure gauge (F) low and adjust your bubble count using the Needle Valve (B).

Thanks so much for posting this. Its a big help! So afraid to break my expensive toys.

Definitely better to be safer then sorry! Post any other questions once it comes in!
GLA has some really nice stuff, I use their dry ferts, and also got my drop checker and diffuser from them. I could only imagine how nice their regulators are. Congrats!

Thanks. I got dry ferts from them for EI dosing too. I just have to build my DIY inline CO2 reactor and I'm ready for high tech. Got the reactor materials from home depot 2 weeks ago but haven't had time to assemble. Fluval/Marineland/Eheim should be selling reactors and making money.

Is the reactor your creation or is it written up somewhere? I'd like to see how it looks!
I know Fluval dabbles in the Co2 world but they sell the most basic items out there. It seems that High tech is starting to trend so I'm sure it won't be long...

Back
Top Bottom