CO2 tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
Any ideas on where would be the best (least expensive) place to get 5pound CO2 tanks?

We're planning on setting up 2 more systems. (yeah, I got the fiance hooked);)

I think you can use co2 fire extinguishers, but I'm not sure how many mods you'll have to do. Alot of people "rent" a tank, and swap it for a different "new" one when they're empty.

I think you can use co2 fire extinguishers, but I'm not sure how many mods you'll have to do. Alot of people "rent" a tank, and swap it for a different "new" one when they're empty.

With the tank we have now, it came with our 80g, we take it to the welding shop and trade it for a full one. I suppose I could find out from them if they'd start me out with tanks.

When I set up.

I was going to use a CO2 tank from a paintball fill station. You should be able to swap them out just like paintball places do.

Go to a welding supply shop. That is your cheapest and best bet. They will even have some nylon washers or permaseals that you can use instead of the plastic ones most regulators come with. I think I got my 5# tank, used, for $70 filled.

2 Ways to do it

I have 2 20 oz tanks that I could use and you can also use one of the fill station containers. They are friggin huge, but you could run off of it for quite some time depending on your flow rate. Have no idea how long, but I would image a year or more. I haven't priced them out so that's a big factor.

Fill station containers would last you longer than the hydrotesting stamp. I would just get a 10lb. That in itself will last you at least a year.

Two 20oz containers is 2.5lb and will maybe last you 6months. Not on an 80gal though, maybe 2-3 months.

Check craigslist. I'm getting a 5lb aluminum tank for 30.

LOL

If 10lbs will last you a year a fill station will last you a veeeeerrrrrrryyyyy long time.

Fill station containers would last you longer than the hydrotesting stamp. I would just get a 10lb. That in itself will last you at least a year.

Two 20oz containers is 2.5lb and will maybe last you 6months. Not on an 80gal though, maybe 2-3 months.

Check craigslist. I'm getting a 5lb aluminum tank for 30.

I check CL daily. This is just in case I don't find any tanks by time we're ready to set it up.

Go to a welding supply shop. That is your cheapest and best bet. They will even have some nylon washers or permaseals that you can use instead of the plastic ones most regulators come with. I think I got my 5# tank, used, for $70 filled.

Ok, so the welding shop would be the best choice then. I wasn't sure if it would be or if I should also try looking at home brewing sites. Thanks.

CL local beverage stores welding shop just have to shop around a little. some shops even do a rental type thing. you pay a deposit then just take it in to swap the tanks. when you are done give it back and get the deposit back. just a idea. if the tanks are close you can use a single tank to feed co2 to several tanks. as always the bigger tank you can get the better.

If there's a pop machine somewhere that's being decomissioned or a restaurant closing, both should have a co2 tank or 2 that are being sold/given away.

are you talking about the 20 lbers? They should work.. basically any co2 tank you can stick a regulator on will work.

Back
Top Bottom