co2 tubing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m-man

Aquarium Advice Regular
i was browsing i web site that is sponsored from this website, the ads you see at the top, called Aquarium supply store, (http://www.aquatic-store.com/) and they sell this "co2 tubing" instead of regular air tubing saying

"CO2-Proof Tubing -
Normal airline tubing can lose up to 20% of CO2 through its membrane. Silicone tubing reacts w/ CO2 and render it less efficient (thus the silicone hardening over time under CO2 usage). Our special CO2 Resistant Tubing loses less than 1% of CO2."\

what do you guys think about this, i mean 20% is a significant number but

I just bought some of the transparent green tubing. (It was included in the CO2 regulator - pH controller package.)

I've only been using it for a week or so, but it seems to be working out well, and it blends into the tank nicely too. It is a little stiffer than regular airline tubing.

Unless you run your CO2 at high pressure, you are unlikely to lose anything significant to outgassing. Regular airline works just fine for CO2 in aquarium applications.

At your hardware store, they have a black plastic tubing that is for drip irrigation. It is like $5.00 for 100 feet. This is CO2 proof tubing (gas impervious), it is the same poly-p tubing that is sold in industrial applications where CO2 is used.

Rex says that reqular airline tubing (blue stuff) can lose upto 6% of the CO2 per FOOT. I do not know at what pressure or over what period of time. CO2 tubing is pretty cheap, so why chance it IMO.

Back
Top Bottom