CO2 vs. Flourish Excel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holytotemic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently switching from a pop bottle co2 generator (dyi yeast and sugar) to Flourish Excel. Anyone know the pros and cons? Reason for this is I got some plants from petsmart that had black algae and now I can't get rid of it. I heard Flourish Excel will make my plants pop and manage the algae issue into submission. I attached a photo of the black algae plaguing my aquarium.

Thanks forum!

6e4unupy.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never seen algae that looks like this. Very interesting.

Would you please post the results of your experiment?

Gosh... that's some nasty looking stuff. Almost looks like a very dark version of BGA (blue green algae). Is it spreading on to other surfaces in your tank? Is there a strange earthy musty smell coming from it?

We need a proper ID to plan an attack. But spot treating with H2O2 should help for a broad range of algae.

But if it's indeed BGA, here's some info: http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/maintenance1/p/algaebluegreen.htm

Last edited:
Just on leaves. That's all it goes for are the leaves of the plants already infected.

The "new plant" is 9 months old. The other plants that were infected basically turned to mush.

I also have a Madagascar Lace that's been in there the longest and it never grew any.

I'm pretty certain that's not algae. You should be able to wipe it off the leaves if it was. It looks more like the plants are dying from something. Are those anubias? What does the temp of your tank run? Do you add any salt?

I've brought gone plants from my Lfs, they run heavy co2 in their display, upon planting into my excel only tank, the sane thing happens, purple fuzzy death.. Not all plants have done it, just a sunset hygro and Ludwiga.. The Ludwiga looked identicle to yours.. It happened over night too. Magen I bought them they looked great, next day started the purple death..

Sounds like what's happening to me Brookster123, any resolution?

Sounds like what's happening to me Brookster123, any resolution? Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
it looks identical from your pics, resolution?? Slash and burn.. I was able to save a 3" section off the top of the Ludwiga, I'm just happy it hasn't shown up on any of the other plants in the tank..

Back
Top Bottom