Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

CO2 with fish

they have Co2 systems that use a bubble maker thing. If i do a planted tank with fish do I need one

Old 03-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well, for certain plants, it wouldnt hurt to have.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the plants will grow without co2. co2 just speeds up the process and they usually look better.
Mr.Pleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverover
they have Co2 systems that use a bubble maker thing. If i do a planted tank with fish do I need one
It all depends on your lighting. If you do a very high light setup, you'll need it to help outcompete algae, if it's lower medium light, you could get away without it, but plants will always benefit from it.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #5

even with fish???
Old 04-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Depends on the Substrate your using. If you have either Dirt Substrate, or something like Eco-complete/Flourite, c02 system Isn't needed if you have a good amount of fish. Good lighting is needed as well, and algae can be fought with fast growing plants.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Co2 won't kill the fish unless there is so much it turns the water acidic. You'd be able to tell when it's too much because your fish would be near the top gasping for air. If you tank is stocked enough they will give off co2 but most tanks dont have enough fish to rely on that alone. If your tank is small you can make a DIY co2 out of gatorade bottle, some tubing, mix sugar and yeast, and some sort of diffuser.
If you are just wanting to go low light plants then co2 isn't necessary.

What kind of lighting is on your tank?
Mr.Pleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggs180 View Post
Depends on the Substrate your using. If you have either Dirt Substrate, or something like Eco-complete/Flourite, c02 system Isn't needed if you have a good amount of fish. Good lighting is needed as well, and algae can be fought with fast growing plants.
Co2, ferts(substrate), and light are three separate factors that work together to create a successful planted tank. One does not negate the need for the other.

The reason why many tanks are fine without co2 (most of mine have been without co2) is because there is an ambient level of co2 in the atmosphere(and likewise in aquaria), so it works on a similar concept as growing terrestrial plants. You can grow terrestrial plants outside just fine without giving them co2, but putting them in a contained setting with co2 injection is what some growers do to maximize potential growth.

The downside to utilizing only atmospheric co2 is that it is often the limiting factor for growth in most systems, and even a modest light setup can benefit from the additional carbon.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #9

i have a 55 gallon with a florescent light that gives off 40watts
Old 04-02-2012, 02:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pleco View Post
Co2 won't kill the fish unless there is so much it turns the water acidic. You'd be able to tell when it's too much because your fish would be near the top gasping for air.
Just to clarify, high levels of CO2 inhibit the exchange of O2 and CO2 in the fish. This causes them to gasp for air, because they are lacking O2. Not because the water is acidic.

Tags
co2

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com