College 5g NPT Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Feel free to take some pictures of the fish, sometimes they have $200 bettas that all they need is clean water and heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

(And we might be able to help on tour selective process)

The star repens should be fine under a Finnex FugeRay. The tissue culture grown plants are small and will eventually grow out to full size.
The AR mini will grow as well but not gets to its full red color IME. Both complement each other nicely.

Feel free to take some pictures of the fish, sometimes they have $200 bettas that all they need is clean water and heat.

I took a few, I'll post them! Some are gorgeous, but I don't know if any are the one...

Yeah I saw a downright BEAUTIFUL betta at petco the other day. Wish I had a tank for it.

Ah! I hate when that happens. Because then you try to fit it in somewhere and you told yourself (and your parent in my case) no more tanks.

The star repens should be fine under a Finnex FugeRay. The tissue culture grown plants are small and will eventually grow out to full size.
The AR mini will grow as well but not gets to its full red color IME. Both complement each other nicely.

That's great to hear, and they are a bit small but I'm excited to have them though. I will start looking more into the AR. I really don't mind it not being to its full red, I'm not sure how exactly I feel about that bright of red in the tank with the redish rock!

Thanks everyone for all the help!!!!

Here are the bettas:

Favorite of these:

I like this one as well:

Last edited:
The first double tail butterfly is the best from all 3. Green reflects well under a Fugeray-R.

I am personally not a big fan of big ears, Dumbo, Elefant Ears, or any other combination of the selective breeding that makes them like that. On the long run, you are better off not going too far from what nature naturally selected and "perfected" through time.

Now since this is just an opinion, all 3 are nice fish, most likely coming from Segrest Farms in Florida. They know what they are doing there.

(The eye/head proportion of the first one also suggest he is younger, most likely with less ammonia damage from living in a small cup for too long)

Your tank looks great so far! You have a good eye for aquascaping:)
I was reading down through the thread thinking "I should suggest a finnex fugeray" and then as I kept reading I saw it was suggested! The 10 or 12" ones are pretty cheap and would be good for low light.
I just graduated from college and I also had a nano planted beta tank in my room. I had a blue plakat beta and I love him. I have found that the plakats do better in tanks with filters and are much more active because they have less weight to drag around:) I'm not sure how far away from home you'll be, or if you're living in a dorm, apartment, house, etc. but if it's your first year I'm assuming dorm. So one thing to consider is what you'll do over breaks. Most schools I think (at least mine did) have a rule that over spring break, fall break, thanksgiving break, etc you have to unplug everything (so no heater, filter, or light for a few days- which makes me worry about the higher maintenance stem plants). And also how to transport it home for winter break at the end of the semester.
All those things aside, if you're not dead set on a beta yet, another option could be a couple male endlers, or a small school of nano fish like chilli rasboras or CPDs.
Maybe a moss carpet for in front of the rocks? Not many things grow that low to the substrate in low light unfortunately. You'll probably want to get a timer for your light so you don't get algae issues if you forget to turn the light off or on at the right times when you're busy studying or partying ;), and you'll probably want to dose liquid carbon and something like flourish comprehensive for the stem plants.
I look forward to seeing how it turns out:) I wish my roommate had been as into fish as you! I would have gotten less weird looks when I did water changes every weekend and kept frozen bloodworms in our freezer ;)

Thanks, that's a lot of help! I was trying out how I was going to transport it (I'm about 2ish hours away for college) and different levels of water with plants... I'm thinking that most of it will be drained and I'll put a cover on top.

I'm going to order the Finnex Fugeray probably on Monday:)

I've had CPDs in this tank before (then I had a heater mishap and well I had a sort of gumbo with fish and shrimp:() and I really loved them so I might do those. I have endlers in my 20 L so I don't think I want to bring them.

Here's what I've done though:

And since I used some plants from this tank and added dwarf sag I thought that I'd show my 20 L as well!

Back
Top Bottom