Color Temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcsguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have tube lighting over my 55 gallon. Plant growth has been decent, but one of my bulbs broke in an accident a few months ago. Ever since, I have been using a 4100k cool white bulb and the other three are 6500k. Apart from the look that I'm not sure I'm so keen on, would I achieve greater growth by getting another 6500k bulb (which I will anyway for the look). Is it even worth having the 4100k bulb on the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Does the 4100k show as a more reddish light? How deep is the tank?

Red light is lost very quickly by tank depth but if tank is say a foot deep I don't think so important.

Does the 4100k show as a more reddish light? How deep is the tank?

Red light is lost very quickly by tank depth but if tank is say a foot deep I don't think so important.

It looks more orange than red. It's a standard 55 gallon so 21 inches high.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In theory it is useful to have that light to add more red light but I have never noticed a huge difference as long as there is a red light source (which the 6500k should be providing).

I think you could even swap that for an 8000k to get a cool blue light for aesthetics if you wanted to. Or put it at the back so the output is masked by the front tubes.

Back
Top Bottom