Community but I want to plant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shemhamforash

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help!!!! I have a 38g freshwater with 5 angels, 1pleco, and servurm I have a aqueon 24w light and planned on replacing it. I would like to have a carpet of dwarf hair grass. I would like some opinions on fixtures,bulbs,and planting media. and I was wanting to try bamboo.

Bamboo is terrestrial. I would advise Anubias nana petite for a carpet plant.

Anubias is a great looking low light plant. I don't know much about lighting so low light plants are best.

Bamboo is terrestrial. I would advise Anubias nana petite for a carpet plant.

Anubias are not really considered carpeting plants. You could theoretically make a "carpet" if you got enough I guess, but that really goes for any plant. It would take forever and a day to get an anubias or two to grow in and shoot out runners enough to make a "carpet," as anubias typically grow a new leaf about every 3 weeks.

How long is the tank? In order to really get a good carpeting effect with anything, you can't skimp on lighting or co2.

36in and as far as co2 goes I know very little about. I know in large quantities it would not be good for my fish. but I really am shooting for something that can be maintained at 4in or less

Alex (bud) is correct. If you want to have dwarf hair grass, you are going to need very high lighting, and a lot of co2. Not to mention a lot of trimming to keep it in check.
A better option would be dwarf sag, it looks a lot like dwarf hair grass, and it doesn't need super high lighting, or co2.

as far as the dwarf sag could I trim it around 4 in I just did some quick research and said it could grow a foot tall and to be used as a background. A moderate light level I can handle, its the co2 system that makes me weary and I would just like to say thanks to everyone contributing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crypt parva might be an option as far as a carpet goes. I have some (not as a carpet but just little 'bushes' here and there) and it's a little taller than you might think of a carpet being, but it's not more than 3 inches and my lighting (I think) is around the medium/medium high range. Something to consider at least.

You do not need CO2 for a planted tank. There are tons of plants that will do awesome without super high light and CO2.
Java ferns, Java mosss, Marsilea minuta, Anubias nana (not a good carpet, but still a good plant), water lettuce, Crypt wendii to name a few.
Honestly, I do not know why you would not want plants to grow over 4 inches. Many fish, including angels, like to swim through tall plants.
As an aside note, are your fish still juveniles? That is a lot for a 38g tank.

the biggest is the gold severum and its only 3in the angels are only dime sized bodies all my water levels are perfect. I am not against taller plants but I have fake 3' bamboo and the want nothing to do with them

You do not need CO2 for a planted tank. There are tons of plants that will do awesome without super high light and CO2.
Java ferns, Java mosss, Marsilea minuta, Anubias nana (not a good carpet, but still a good plant), water lettuce, Crypt wendii to name a few.
Honestly, I do not know why you would not want plants to grow over 4 inches. Many fish, including angels, like to swim through tall plants.
As an aside note, are your fish still juveniles? That is a lot for a 38g tank.

I was saying that my crypt parva hasn't got over 4 inches and it might be an option for a carpet. I have plenty of other plants that are over 4 inches.

There are other plants that you could use in that set up that would make a very nice looking tank. And if you decide to upgrade on lighting that would be a nice bonus for them. Some plants you might want to look into, which are varying in height, which the fish really will enjoy are Water Sprite, Wisteria, Crypts, Java Ferns and Anubia attached to DW, Ambulia handles lower light but grows with much finer leaves and smaller overall growth, Dwarf Sag would be good for a midground plant, and Four Leaf Clover (Marsilea quadrifolia) would be great in the foreground and as a carpeting plant. They don't need CO2 but using liquid carbon (excel) does help increase growth.

I was saying that my crypt parva hasn't got over 4 inches and it might be an option for a carpet. I have plenty of other plants that are over 4 inches.

I was responding to the original post, not trying to contradict you. I didn't see yours while I was typing. :)
I have not kept C. parva, but it sounds like an excellent option.

OP, I am glad your fish are juveniles. I hope you have a different arrangement in mind for when they are not. I was just double checking with you that you didn't have all those fish in there as adults.

Last edited:
I was responding to the original post, not trying to contradict you. I didn't see yours while I was typing. :)
I have not kept C. parva, but it sounds like an excellent option.

OP, I am glad your fish are juveniles. I hope you have a different arrangement in mind for when they are not. I was just double checking with you that you didn't have all those fish in there as adults.

Ok just checking :) I had originally bought it from petsmart and it was labeled as crypt wendtii green but after posting on here many agreed it was crypt parva. I really like it, my cories especially love to nudge their way in it and sit in the little 'bushes'... It's so cute!

so i like for foreground(Carpet) the dwarf hairgrass or four leaf clover.the odyssea 36" 78W T5 HO Light Fixture Extendable Series for a light . For substrate i was thinking of Seachem Flourite is the suitable or is there something better out there....and as far as when they are adults im in the process of building/researching a acrylic tank

so i like for foreground(Carpet) the dwarf hairgrass or four leaf clover.the odyssea 36" 78W T5 HO Light Fixture Extendable Series for a light . For substrate i was thinking of Seachem Flourite is the suitable or is there something better out there....and as far as when they are adults im in the process of building/researching a acrylic tank

It depends on what you want and how much you can spend. Many like Ecocomplete but it is pricey. If you have a smaller tank price may not be much of an issue for you. I have silica play sand as my substrate and I love it. Wish I would've switched To sand a long time ago,'I will never go back to gravel!

Back
Top Bottom