Complete Tank Rescape!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed Old Scales - especially for bottom dwellers. I have seen people use "black beauty" I think it is called which is a black blasting sand and it looked great and worked ok for most fish... but sharp substrate should definitely be avoided for cories and the like.

I love it! I have it in my 10 gal planted and ever since adding it, I've wanted it in my 26 gal ! Hopefully I will get it in the next few weeks :)

What are some good schooling fish? I plan on upping my number of Cory's to 4 and removing my neon tetras cause I find them boring.

I want something that's active and schools right! I plan on adding 6-8 of them.

Most of the tetras are great. Rummy nose tetras in a nice planted tank are hard to beat.

Most of the tetras are great. Rummy nose tetras in a nice planted tank are hard to beat.

That's what I wants thinking! I also was some harlequin rasboras? My local Petco has tons of tetras, I stopped by today and checked em out. I have to buy some ich medication tomorrow, but once I get that stable i want to add them some!

Here's a pic with the lights on. Looks much better ! :) :dance:

image-214575504.jpg

I have been using dirt for the plants. At first I was sceptical and decided to throw in some money and by eco complete for a 60 gallon running around100$. I had a 10 gallon tank that was very crappy and decided I'd take a chance at dirt. It's been two weeks while using two 23 watt spiral flourecent lights and DIY co2 and plants such as rotala magenta that need very high light are growing insanely fast. It maybe the messiest if done incorrectly but it's one if the best ways IMO to successfully run a low tech planted tank.

I love my eco-complete type substrate, actually I could only get Floa Max here. It is really dirty and needs washing MANY times. I got to thinking that if I washed it until it was clear, I might be washing away half the nutrients I'm paying for. I washed it 4 times until the worst was out, then went ahead and put it in the tank. Then I did an old school trick of covering it with only enough clean aquarium gravel to seal it in. (About 3/4") This way my water got clear and only clouded a little when I poked the plants into the substrate. The flora max is light enough that gravel vacuuming would have been a challenge, and smooth gravel is friendlier to my corys. Roots are well into the flora max but gravel keeps the "silty" stuff at bay.

If anyone has any experience with German Blue Rams, I have a question.

My female GBR has a white bump on the bottom of her stomach that almost looks like an egg is poking out. Could this be??!?

If anyone has any experience with German Blue Rams, I have a question.

My female GBR has a white bump on the bottom of her stomach that almost looks like an egg is poking out. Could this be??!?

That's an egg, yes. Where is her and her pair campin out? She'll hang out in one spot and the male will wait and watch. So he can come and fertilize it.

That's an egg, yes. Where is her and her pair campin out? She'll hang out in one spot and the male will wait and watch. So he can come and fertilize it.

The girl is hanging out near the back of the tank by a piece of fake wood but the male stays in his little cave , but comes out a lot and watches her and will occasionally swim over and hang with her and then sometimes nip at her belly. Is this normal ?

The girl is hanging out near the back of the tank by a piece of fake wood but the male stays in his little cave , but comes out a lot and watches her and will occasionally swim over and hang with her and then sometimes nip at her belly. Is this normal ?

Completely. Now u have to decide. Let the parents raise, or move the eggs to a breeder box/ different tank. If u have other fish that would eat other fry it's a chance they won't make it. But the parents may eat the eggs the first few times

What are some good schooling fish? I plan on upping my number of Cory's to 4 and removing my neon tetras cause I find them boring.

I want something that's active and schools right! I plan on adding 6-8 of them.

Hatchet fish are schooling fish and They look really cool but they are hard to keep alive I had two in my 10 gallon tank long story short the little one died.:(But if you are willing to take care of them they are good fish.

Completely. Now u have to decide. Let the parents raise, or move the eggs to a breeder box/ different tank. If u have other fish that would eat other fry it's a chance they won't make it. But the parents may eat the eggs the first few times

I want to watch the parents take care of them a few times but I'd also like to put some in a nursery.

Quick question... Would my rams do ok with tiger barbs? I have an offer where I can trade something to get 5.

I had a small group of tiger barbs in my 55 gallon. They're we're six of them, something along the lines of 2 males and 4 females. They were fun to watch for about three weeks and then they went crazy on all the other fish.

I would stay away from tiger barbs in a non-aggressive tank setup as they will start to create territories and wreak havoc on any fish inside that territory, which in my case was half of my 55 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom