Complete Tank Rescape!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a 26 gallon bow front. It's plain and boring and can't wait to get started on this rescape!!

I have big plans!!

I want to convert it to a planted tank, so that means having to change my substrate from ugly blue gravel to something more substantial. Suggestions would be great!!

I'm going for a low to moderate light plants, and would like some ideas.
Ex. Flora stock list

I'm also unhappy with my fish stock. I'd like to change it up quite a bit. For fauna stock I was thinking

2 German blue rams (still trying to get a pair)
Some type of schooling fish
I'd like to up my number of Cory cats
Albino bn pleco

I'd also like to keep a few of the fish I have.

I need to get a new filter, as my current one is old and not functioning properly. It's a penguin bio wheel 150. I plan on upgrading to an aqua clear 50 or some type of aqueon quiet flow filter( I have one on my 10 gal and it works great!)

I have an idea of what I'd like to do for aqua scaping.

Here's a pic of the current setup. Horrible right?

image-2167768889.jpg

Id like to take this pile of rocks with the plant in the middle and move it to the center of the tank.

image-1217915437.jpg

I want to them put a bunch of plants behind it In the shape of a half circle.

Here's a rough sketch from a top view of what I'd like

image-574637843.jpg

Id also like to take off my corny stick on background and make it black. I don't like the idea of painting it, so I just want to put black construction paper on it like I did with my other two tanks.

I'd also like some ideas for a cheap light fixture that grows low to moderate light plants. I was planning on just purchasing a max plant growth bulb for my current fixture.

My budget is $120 US dollars and I don't want to go over that. I'd like to stay under it actually, and I'm open to compromises if it helps bring down the cost!

I think this covers everything, please feel free to chime in, ask questions, answer mine, and follow along :) please join me through my rescape!

Have the same tank And I'm going to rescape it (absolutely terrible!!).

For cheap lighting look up clamp on work lights from lowes. They're about 7-9$. U grab 2 of those and get 6500K CFL bulbs.

Also for cheap sand try black sandblasting sand (like 19$ for 100 pounds).

I'd also recommend driftwood and getting plants like
Anubias
Java fern
Java moss
Vals
Water sprite
All I can think of currently. Hope I'm helpful!

Have the same tank And I'm going to rescape it (absolutely terrible!!).

For cheap lighting look up clamp on work lights from lowes. They're about 7-9$. U grab 2 of those and get 6500K CFL bulbs.

Also for cheap sand try black sandblasting sand (like 19$ for 100 pounds).

I'd also recommend driftwood and getting plants like
Anubias
Java fern
Java moss
Vals
Water sprite
All I can think of currently. Hope I'm helpful!

Please post pics ! I'd love to see how you have yours set up. Ill check them out, would the clamp on light replace my whole fixture or would I need to run both?

Is the black sand good for plants? I want them to be healthy and green :)

I like the idea of driftwood, as I've never had it in a tank before. My lfs has driftwood with plants attached, I think it's Anubias. I'm not sure if they sell regular driftwood, ill have to check it out.

All those plants sound great! I love water sprite, I have it in my planted 10 gal and it grows rapidly!

What would you suggest for fish stock? I have to keep some of my current Stock which includes 2 German blue rams, 3 platy, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 Colombian tetra, 2 Cory cats, 1 male betta, 3 neon tetra, and 1 albino bn pleco.

I know it's not recommended to keep a betta with my current stock, but he actually gets along fine with everyone and no fights have broken out. He's been In the tank for 2 months now with everyone and is eating and looms great! So please no hate on the betta.

I know the Colombian tetra is supposed to be in a school, he used to be but the rest died off Atleast a year ago and he's been alone. I plan on rehoming him or moving him to my 10 gal

I'd like it to be
2 GBR
1 EBR
6 neon tetra
4 Cory cats
3 platy
1 dwarf gourami
1 betta
1 albino bn pleco

I know this is overstocked but I'm experienced and have been taking on overstocked tanks for a while now and haven't had a loss in a while. With a good filter, like an aqua clear 50, and water changes every 5 days I think I will be ok.

What's your guys opinion?

Please post pics ! I'd love to see how you have yours set up. Ill check them out, would the clamp on light replace my whole fixture or would I need to run both?

Is the black sand good for plants? I want them to be healthy and green :)

I like the idea of driftwood, as I've never had it in a tank before. My lfs has driftwood with plants attached, I think it's Anubias. I'm not sure if they sell regular driftwood, ill have to check it out.

All those plants sound great! I love water sprite, I have it in my planted 10 gal and it grows rapidly!

What would you suggest for fish stock? I have to keep some of my current Stock which includes 2 German blue rams, 3 platy, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 Colombian tetra, 2 Cory cats, 1 male betta, 3 neon tetra, and 1 albino bn pleco.

I know it's not recommended to keep a betta with my current stock, but he actually gets along fine with everyone and no fights have broken out. He's been In the tank for 2 months now with everyone and is eating and looms great! So please no hate on the betta.

I know the Colombian tetra is supposed to be in a school, he used to be but the rest died off Atleast a year ago and he's been alone. I plan on rehoming him or moving him to my 10 gal

I'd like it to be
2 GBR
1 EBR
6 neon tetra
4 Cory cats
3 platy
1 dwarf gourami
1 betta
1 albino bn pleco

I know this is overstocked but I'm experienced and have been taking on overstocked tanks for a while now and haven't had a loss in a while. With a good filter, like an aqua clear 50, and water changes every 5 days I think I will be ok.

What's your guys opinion?

It's replace your whole fixture. U could have some higher light plants too.

With that stocking you can't have the DG or EBR. .. I'm not good on recommending stocking...

Sorry I can't help more.

That would be awesome! Would I just place them on top of the hood?

And the DW actually is very docile, he's fine.

The EBR is currently in my 10 gal cause my GBR's didn't like him lol. But I think if I rescape, new territory's would be established so I might try it out but just move him back if it didn't work.

I wish I could just rehome most of the fish, but my parents hate that idea! -_- oh well.

I'm doing the Home Depot clamp on lights this weekend, if I can get one of my friends to come over and hang my shelf over my tank. I'll clamp the lights on the shelf, and since they swing easily, I'll be all set.

For plants, I'd also recommend any of the hygrophilas. There are two that get pretty tall - hygrophila corymbosa angustifolia, and hygrophila corymbosa (common name, giant hygro), so they are good for deep tanks. Hygros are stem plants, so you don't need root tabs for them, but if you use liquid ferts 2-3 times per week, the giant hygro grows like a weed. All the hygros are great for keeping nitrates in check.

And I wouldn't put a betta with a dwarf gourami - they'll be competing for space at the top.

I'm doing the Home Depot clamp on lights this weekend, if I can get one of my friends to come over and hang my shelf over my tank. I'll clamp the lights on the shelf, and since they swing easily, I'll be all set.

For plants, I'd also recommend any of the hygrophilas. There are two that get pretty tall - hygrophila corymbosa angustifolia, and hygrophila corymbosa (common name, giant hygro), so they are good for deep tanks. Hygros are stem plants, so you don't need root tabs for them, but if you use liquid ferts 2-3 times per week, the giant hygro grows like a weed. All the hygros are great for keeping nitrates in check.

And I wouldn't put a betta with a dwarf gourami - they'll be competing for space at the top.

I'm interesting in that plant! I think it would look good as a background plant. What ferts do you use with it?

And I know, at the time I didn't know they aren't supposed to be together but they get along fine so Ill leave it for now. Ill move out the betta I'd there is any problems :)

I use Seachem Flourish and API Leaf Zone 2-3 times a week. Try to dose when you do a water change. I use API CO2 Booster daily, but in tanks where I have anacharis (another really good stem plant for helping control ammonia and nitrates, and it can get very tall and then lay down on the top of the water), I half the dose and use the CO2 booster every other day, because carbon boosters almost always make anacharis melt.

Of course for rooted plants, like crypt and swords, you also need root tabs.

I use Seachem Flourish and API Leaf Zone 2-3 times a week. Try to dose when you do a water change. I use API CO2 Booster daily, but in tanks where I have anacharis (another really good stem plant for helping control ammonia and nitrates, and it can get very tall and then lay down on the top of the water), I half the dose and use the CO2 booster every other day, because carbon boosters almost always make anacharis melt.

Of course for rooted plants, like crypt and swords, you also need root tabs.

Where can I purchase seachem flourish ? I've seen the API leaf zone at the store.

I know petsmart has it saw it yesterday when getting my dog stuff. But I have seen really anywhere that sells prime

I would also substitute your current background for a black background. Not sure if that has been suggested yet but it would really make your plants and your fish stand out

I would also substitute your current background for a black background. Not sure if that has been suggested yet but it would really make your plants and your fish stand out

Yes, I plan on doing that :) I don't want to paint it though because I'm sure in another year or two I'd wanna change it up again so I'm just planning on putting place construction paper back there

I've keep Rams for a long time and rescaping a tank and readding the EBR is still not going to work. That tank is too small for 3 and as rams mature they tend to get more aggressive especially if there is a pair involved. I keep 2 rams pairs in a 220g 100% planted tank and still have occassional aggression issues. It's not good to keep exposing the EBR to such aggression.

I've keep Rams for a long time and rescaping a tank and readding the EBR is still not going to work. That tank is too small for 3 and as rams mature they tend to get more aggressive especially if there is a pair involved. I keep 2 rams pairs in a 220g 100% planted tank and still have occassional aggression issues. It's not good to keep exposing the EBR to such aggression.

So I should just keep him in his current tank? I do think I have a pair (finally!! :dance: ) they've been following each other and showing some courtship. They also rub bodies and occasionally just stare at eachother. It's hilarious lol :)

Are those signs that a pair is forming ?

So I should just keep him in his current tank? I do think I have a pair (finally!! :dance: ) they've been following each other and showing some courtship. They also rub bodies and occasionally just stare at eachother. It's hilarious lol :)

Are those signs that a pair is forming ?

That means a pair has formwd

Woohoo ! So how long do you think it should be until they spawn ?

Idk. Maybe tommorow, maybe in a week. U never know

Lol it's so exciting :) should my rams be claiming a territory and staying there?

Btw I will be stopping by Petco tomorrow to pick up some things and will be making my black background tonight for the tank :) I can't wait to get started!

Lol it's so exciting :) should my rams be claiming a territory and staying there?

Btw I will be stopping by Petco tomorrow to pick up some things and will be making my black background tonight for the tank :) I can't wait to get started!

I may be going to my LFS today to get driftwood and plants:)

Back
Top Bottom