compost substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

regulardrake

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. We got a compost bin outback that we use for planting flower and garden stuff. I was wounder is it safe to use it also for a bottom layer and then add a 2nd layer of eco complete?

Ok I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. We got a compost bin outback that we use for planting flower and garden stuff. I was wounder is it safe to use it also for a bottom layer and then add a 2nd layer of eco complete?

Idk what you add to your compost. Those items can be harmful to your fish. Your tank will have too many earthworms and other unwanted crawlers that's you don't need. I wouldn't risk it.

Idk what you add to your compost. Those items can be harmful to your fish. Your tank will have too many earthworms and other unwanted crawlers that's you don't need. I wouldn't risk it.

Yeah I wasn't too sure either and it was just a wild idea I had. I am probably not going to risk it and just get 40 lb of eco complete for the substrate and call it good. The only thing we have in our compost is coffee grounds/old fruit/lawn clippings/fall leafs from the yard, stuff like that.

I wouldn't risk using the compost. I have also had really good luck with miracle grow organic potting soil and capping it with a thin layer of sand instead of using the Eco complete..... I hve used both but my results were much better when I used soil! Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom